Correct Bushes And Which Way Round

kevin the chicken

Are these the correct bushes for the sierra control arm to anti roll bar. If they are then which way round do they go? top two or bottom two

They are nothing like the old ones to look at and nothing like the ones shown in the haynes manual. The new ones have a metal bush that goes through both pieces whereas the old ones had two metal bushes and although they look similar to the ones in the manual I suspect that they may have been in the wrong way round. Surprise surprise

I have measured the bushes and although they will fit in either way round a fair bit of rubber will protude out of the ends whichever way they are fitted presumably if they are correct the metal cups would squash them quite tight in the arm.

Regards

Kevin

IMAG0140.jpg

Guest mower man

fig 11.9 in chapter 11in haynes manual shows one set up [1988 version ] I think there is another one but not sure , I found even h/d std bushes were poor [ replaced them every year before MOT] ,this was with the a/roll bar and later with tie bar mod , fitted poly bushes 3/4 years ago no probs poly's are expensive but in my op well worth it . I 'll dig my other manual out to see if its any different hope this helps mower man :crazy:

Hi Kevin,

Just replaced the ARB bushes on my 2B yesterday with these: http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

They were much easier to fit to the arms than the rubber ones, and I hope will last longer.

The hardest job was the re-assembly of the roll bar:

With the one arm fitted to the chassis and roll bar through the bush (N/S), I then fitted the bar through the bush in the O/S arm. This was about 2" away from the chassis bracket.

Loosely fit the 2 back brackets and rear bushes with spacers to suit.

To get it to fit I used rope around the 2 ARB end nuts, a piece of wood in the middle and started to turn, so pulling in the ends of the ARB.

Eventually the bar was sprung in enough for the bolt to fit through the chassis brackets.

Make sure the rear brackets either fit flush up to the floorpan or you have spacers / washers between, this was one of my IVA fail points I am correcting and it seemed sensible to fit the better bushes at the same time.

Not sure if everyone with the sierra style front suspension has the same hassle or is there an easier way to re-assemble that I missed?

I took the track control arm off so I could put it in a vice to get the old bushes out. The ones you have certainly look better but I only need mine to last until the winter when I am going do a tie rod conversion and bin the arb. I managed to find a drawing of the correct way to put mine in on an advert on ebay. My wife copied the ad and enlarged it so I could read it, a bit of a result as I don't want to be waiting for something else to arrive in the post. Poly bushes are the way to go though

Yes, I did.

The metal tube goes through the middle, then a cup either side curving outwards.

Without the cups the ARB or the nut could dig into the poly bushes.

Unless anyone else knows different?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bluedog

Hi Gents

The bushes you are showing where fitted in the cosworth sierra and most sierra's put them in as a up grade they should last two to three years had set in my XR4i and never replaced ran for two year, I will be fitting some to my exmo soon