Mini Wiper Wiring

Guest John M.

Guest John M.

I have fitted a mini wiper motor and followed diligently the wiring instructions from this site as given by Longboarder and Les Welsher a couple of months back. I am absolutely convinced that I have the wiring at the motor end correct and I have fitted a new mini parking switch unit but the wipers will not self park. The cam in the motor works the plunger and independent of the car the park switch functions. So why won't it self park when it's wired into the VG loom - my suspicion is that I have a connection wrong when connecting the VG loom to the sierra column switches but haven't managed to work it out on my own. Suggestions please ??

Guest Battery Bill

John

When we had a visit by a bunch of nice folk from Newark recently they noticed that our Mini wipers did not park (The wiper arms are not even fitted yet so I never noticed), Nigel (Longboarder) sent me this picture and I had to connect the Bn/w to the switch :wub: and the Bk/V to the ignition feed :rolleyes: then it parks perfectly, Bn is earth and the greeen and reds are for differnt speeds Hope this helps,

Thanks Chaps :D :D

post-8-1088373874.jpg

Bill is correct,

the main wires to park the motor goes to pin 4 (permanent live) and pin 2 ( to wiper switch B1 contact) unless you have the intermittent relay fitted.

Heres a diagram I made up when doing mine but using sierra wire colours, hope you can follow it.

Black/violet from fuse 15 to pin 4 (permanent live)

Brown/white from pin 2 (31B) to 31B1 on intermittent relay then to B1 on switch,

or pin 2 (31B) directly to B1 if intermittent relay not fitted. This puts power to the motor from the switch via the green wire to pin 5 when the wiper switch is in the off position until the plunger in the park switch breaks the contact when the wiper motor gets to it's park position. ;)

Does that make sense? :wacko:

Les

post-8-1088377914.jpg

Guest John M.

Right, well I tried that and still no luck.

I traced all the wires from the column switches to the wiper moter to check for correct connections and continuity - it's all correct.

I fitted a new mini park box - still won't park

I switch the wiper motor to a sierra one and that won't park.

I tried new column switch gear - still won't park

Any/all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

John M

Guest paul mercer

here's my penny's worth. Some of it i copied off of others so i can't take the credit. I did however wire my wipers and sierra switch up from scratch and this worked.

post-8-1088527153.jpg

John,

Took the plugs off the back of the wiper switch today to get my washers working off the push putton on the end of the wiper stalk (was connected up to the rear wash/wipe).

Anyhow, made a diagram of the wipe switch with terminal nos. , wire colours and what they do.

There is a single plug and a double plug that goes into the back of the switch, the single one being the main one for the wipers.

To check whether you have the correct wires going to the correct terminals pull the single plug out of it's socket and switch on the ignition.

Using a piece of wire as a link short between the middle two terminals in the plug and the wipers should work (slow speed) then stop them 1/2 way through it's cycle (not parked).

The top terminal on the plug should now be live (power from park switch on wipers, brown/white). If it's not live then the problem is from the park switch.

If it is live, short between the top two terminals on the plug and it should park, if it does the problem is the wiper switch.

If the problem is from the park switch, check if pin 2 is live, if it is then the wiring between the parking switch and wiper switch is wrong.

If pin 2 is not live check pin 4 is live, if it is the problem is the park switch.

Note- all checks must be done with the wiper motor not in its park position.

Hope this helps.

Les

ps. just found this

pin----------Sierra-----------VG loom

31b1......brown/white.......green/brown........park

53.............green............pale green/red......slow

54.........black/violet.............green.............+ve feed

53b.............red................blue green.........fast

Heres the diagram I made.

post-8-1088532585.jpg

So tee off the Bk/V wire supplying 54 on the column switch to 4 on the lucas connector block(sierra motor 53A), 31b1 Bn/W from column goes to 2 on the lucas block (sierra 31b1). When switch is switched to the off position when the wiper is part way through its cycle, Bk/V (constant live) supplys current to 4 (Sierra 53A) on the wiper connector. This flows to 2 via in the park switch, back to the column switch via Bn/W wire to 31b1. In the off position 31b1 is switched internaly in the column switch to 53 so the current flows back out to lucas connector 5 (sierra 53) and runs the motor till the ramp on the motor disc comes round, lifts the pip to break the connection in the park switch between 4 and 2 and the current flowing back to the column switch and then back to the motor is cut off and the motor stops. And thats how it knows when to park.

The clever bit is the connection between 31b1 and 53 within the column switch or the dedicated lucas dash switch only when the switch is in the off position.

Nigel

Guest John M.

Firstly, thanks Les for your help/advice - I tried it but still didn't get power at either terminal 2 or 4. But Nigel's solution of splicing in a new feed did the trick - so I'm smiling now and

Thank You , Nigel !!

John M :