Leaking Webber

Guest b3nny

Guest b3nny

I have a small leak coming from cylinder 4 one of my webbers I had them off yesterday and swapped the gaskets around to rule out a bad gasket as they looked new, fitted it all back together and still the same 😭 the leak I thought was coming from undetneth where the carb meets the manifold, after further inspection I noticed a small puddle off fuel caught in the bottom corner of the manifold arm so this now leads me to think the leak could be coming from above? Is there anything common or seals that have gaskets that I can inspect or renew?

Regards

Edited by b3nny

the choke mechanism/Cold start is a common cause of a fuel leak as they get older. I ended up fitting a blanking plate and doing away with them when I had them as I could not stop the leak. With Webbers you don't really need the cold start anyway just blip the throttle on start-up. you can buy the blanking plates and virtually every other part from http://www.dellorto.co.uk/

Guest b3nny

Thinking about it it is in the choke area, I will double check tonight when I get in, hmm I was thinking of fitting a clutch cable but maybe the blacking plate will be the better option if this is where the leak is coming from.

Thanks

Guest b3nny

Decided on the blanking plates as I took apart tightend up and was still the same, seems to be seeping out from around the area with the gauge, did you uses any kind of sealent on the plates?

If you dont have a fuel pressure regulator fitted that would probably be a good idea. The webbers dont need much pressure, 2.5 to 3psi if my memory serves me correctly and too much can cause leaks from around gaskets. You shouldnt need any sealant if you use a gasket after all you dont use sealant anywhere else on the carbs. Is there much to remove from the carbs before you can fit the plates? Mine still have the cold start gubbins fitted and although they dont leak yet I am going to keep an eye on them and blank them off at the first sign of trouble.

Guest b3nny

No not really, just had to remove the carb from the manni, well bring it forward.

The reason I ask about the sealant is because the choke on the car now doesn't have either gasket or sealent so I'm assuming th e plates will be the same?

I also have a adjustablr fuel reg fitted which has been set by a tuner.

Edited by b3nny

Guest b3nny

My zetec head gets in the way of getting anything in there to undo the screws so I had to remove the carb, the other choke seems to be fine and I don't really want to mess with the fuel ref as it's been set by a tuner, did your blanking plates come with any kind of gasket as the choke has nothing?

Could I use abit of sealent just as a extra precaution?