Two Green Wires!

Guest robbie

Guest robbie

Going back to the rev counter again I have found that after disconnecting the two green wires from the loom that the rev counter still hovers at about 3k RPM with the engine ticking over and stays there regardless of engine revs. I had thought these where the power for rev counter and am unsure of where to take connection from negative side of coil to? The instrument cluster is from an 89 saphire.

Question is, what or where is the correct conn from the coil and is there only one conn?

Regards

Robbie

The wire comes through the inline connection to the engine sub loom. There are two green wires from the coil one to the inline connector and the other to the electronic module. The green wire was missing in the doner loom (car side and fitted in engine loom) so I had to run an extra wire when changing to instruments with rev counter. The power to the rev counter should be internal from the inst pod, you shouldn't need extra wires.

Jez

Guest robbie

Cheers Jez,

I have tried running seperate wire from -ve side of coil to the twin greens on the instrument panel cluster but to no effect. I don't understand how the rev counter is powered up even with these two wires disconnected? Do you know if this is normal and if there is a connection to one or both of these green wires that rectifies the problem?

Robbie

This has probably been asked before but what dizzy are you using. You posted a while back it was reconditioned and had a built in amplifier and three wires. Can you be more precise.

I agree with Jez that the rev counter is linked to the neg side of the coil, terminal 11 on the back of the instruments, one of the green wires. The other green is there to go to the kickdown relay and is not used. Might be worth doing a continuity check on the wire in the loom which you are using to make the coil to rev counter link and make sure it is not going to anything else as well. Check the panel earth on 12 and ignition on supply on 7.

Nigel

Guest robbie

"yes the dizzy you have asked about does come with a module/amp,and i can supply all you need. The distributor is a special modified electronic bosch unit,these have been designed and set up by my self,i have got 14 years experiance in dizzys,engine mechanics,and sporting vehicles(i own a 3 dr cosworth, very moded) These are one offs and built to your own spec,they are fully

guarenteed,and spare parts are available."

This is from an email regarding my dizzy giving as much detail as I know!

The guy is very helpfull (I have spoken to him) and even offered to send the dizzy on "try before you buy" basis.

I hope this halps in diagnosis!

By the way, I disconnected the two green wirse from the loom and the rev counter stills hops about at 2-3k revs????

Robbie