Help!

Guest Nik

Hi guys, finally built myself a little car port up the stables to put the 2B in.The plan is is to start fitting a few bits I've been getting together. As its outta tax and mot I got my dad to A bar it there for me, following behind on yhe way up made me realise how bad the camber is on the rear wheels ( could have been following a beetle!) once there I started to trial fit my new 4 in to 1 SS manifold had to remove side panel alternator engine mount and steering shaft! The new manifold fits quite snug other than its in the way of the steering shaft. Any opinion's on what to do? I was thinking of moving the rack over a by about an inch and a half and have a longer rack extender turned up. I am guessing it would be difficult to find a manifold that will fit straight in? Although I've had the car a couple of years it's mainly sat on the drive doing very little. ( DIY too many kids stables to re-build) !! This is the first real opportunity I've had to start pulling it apart. I've got to say I'm not that impressed with the build quality. I'm no mechanic so would be grateful if anyone local would pop over and take a look/advise or help me set fire to it!! Thanks in advance Nik

Me again, I am also contemplating removing the heater as its ad good ad useless, seems like a complete waste of space and added weight for no benefit. Any thoughts?

Pics pics pics... Helps people see what your up against.

To remove my manifold it's brake servo.alternator and steering shaft off .its very close to the chassis leg too.

Rear camber could be ride height. If too low it increase toe and camber and handles like a pig.

Not the best at IT and am trying to put pics on from my phone, will have to wait till I'm at work or try and get one of the children to sort it out. The top of the rear wheels are pointing out with the bottom tucked in under the car, I would guess lowering it would help. At present it has std sierra set up, I will be changing this to coilovers once I have dealt with the front end. I am ok at a bit of fabrication so not worried about making new mounts etc, just not sure how to go about changing camber on the rear. front is wishbone and I have gaz replacements units to go on as the car still has the original coilovers supplied by RH. As I said mechanics is not my trade, I have been involved with building/racing and maintaining comp safari cars in the past so like to think I'm not a total idiot(plenty would disagree with that statement!!) any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance. Nik

Sorry Nik......Photobucket comes up with an error....

Im surprised by your description of the rear wheels.

All RHs tend to be set a bit lower than the Sierra was, & get -ve camber, ie the wheels tip in at the top.

At least one of our members has made wedges (camber compensators) to fix this.

If yours has +ve camber, it suggests the ride height is much too high.

But it may have been the A frame making it look worse?

Stand the car on flat ground.

Measure from the bottom of the body side immediately in front of the rear wing to the ground.

Anything from 6 & 1/2 inches to 7 & 1/2 inches is OK.

I'm not too far away...PM me your phone no, I'll see about popping over with matches!!

Bob

Nick

I am on nights at the moment. I only have 7 more to go then I can pop up and have a look.

Could get Chrissie to pop over the field and get the photos then I could put them up for you if you want.

Jon