Heat Wrap

Guest Nik

Hi gents, just fired the car up today after fitting new exhaust manifold. The heat wrap is smoking quite badly and I assume this is just burning the grime off? Also the manifold is only about 25mm away from the servo, any thoughts on the servos ability to withstand the heat?

As Marcus said , the smoke wont last long.

The heat wrap should keep the heat in the pipes, I have some plastic edging that is just 5mm from the wrapped exhaust and its not melted yet ( after 2 years).

Guest mower man

It,s not wrapping that breaks welds but poorly supported heavy silencers i.e. one rbber mount at the tailpipe endand nowt else is asking for grief and that is not just an opinion but a fact mowerman :crazy:

It,s not wrapping that breaks welds but poorly supported heavy silencers i.e. one rbber mount at the tailpipe endand nowt else is asking for grief and that is not just an opinion but a fact mowerman :crazy:

had mine on a single mount for 6 years with no problems , wrapped down tube ,big heavy silencer, and thats a fact !

Well, how can I argue with facts! Stressing an exhaust system without support will naturally break welds, but containing heat in a manifold (particularly an off-the-shelf mild steel or, even worse, a stainless one) coupled with the moisture retention of heat wrap has, in my experience and that I've seen of others I know in person, always led to premature manifold failure for little benefit. If your engine bay is getting that hot, exhaust wrap is not the best solution, correct ventilation and airflow is. If you're chasing the horsepower or really want to focus on getting engine bay temperature as low as it can be, consider ceramic coating.

Edited by brumster

I wrapped mine to try to reduce the under bonnet temperatures and found that it made a massive difference. As already said it doesn't get rid of the heat but moves it further down the pipe. I find it hard to believe that there is much moisture left in my engine bay after it has been run up to temperature. I have supported my exhaust at both ends on rubber bobbins and put a flexi joint in to get rid of any risk to welds, I dont want 150 quids worth of shiny exhaust dragging down the road.

Guest mower man

In all fairness they're probably using some inconel-or-similar system, cost no option, and lifing the parts...! On a road car, I personally wouldn't bother, but I suspect I'm in the minority :)

That quote was to do my own manifold !! mick :crazy: