S7 Mk2 Inboard Coilover Replacement

Guest Whitewedge

Guest Whitewedge

I've started trying to replace the original coilovers on a sierra s7 mk2. The bolts on the lower section of the shock appear to bolt through the shock into the cross section where the steering rack is mounted. The nut side in the body appears to be boxed in as part of the chassis build. Are the nuts captive to this section. I'm worried if I drop the bolts I'm going to hear the nut drop into a section I can't access.

Any info or tips welcome.

Thanks

On my s7 mk3, the nuts are not captive but the channel that the bottom of the shocks bolt into is "U" shaped not a box section and therefore accessible. I know this probably does not help you but its interesting to find that the set up is different. Best of luck.

Guest Whitewedge

My mk2 has the u shaped channel you describe. The bolts for the shocks bolt through the u shaped channel towards the front of the car. The access for the opposing nut seems entirely enclosed. I had a go on the bolt and it just spins so no captive nut.

The car does have a radiator and oil cooler installed in the nose cone forward of the suspension with some riveted/bolted ducting which maybe obstructing the original access. On your 3a would you access the opposing nut for the shock bolt from above through the engine bay or from beneath?

Thanks

Guest mower man

Its probably the radiator /cooler ducting thats stoping acsess, may be from underneath you will be able to get a spanner /socket on the nut ? ,my car did not have the rad up the nose cone so acsess was no prob HTH mowerman :crazy:

With the nose cone off I can get to the back side of the shocker bolt from the front with no problems. The thing with kit cars, as you will have noticed, is that they are all different even if the basic model/kit is the same. You never see 2 the same at kit car shows. Keep trying you will solve the problem. It may involve a lot of cussing and skinned knuckles but keep smiling. :crazy: