Redtop Wont Start ... Timing ?

Guest windscreen man

Guest windscreen man

Hi fellas, I have now finaly got the c20xe in my 2b and it wont start, I hav r1 carbs on it, I also have nodiz pro (correctly fitted) , ht leads are on correct, coil is a good one, there is fuel getting to the spark plugs as well as a good strong spark, the engine will turn over and spit the odd flame from the exhaust and pop and bang (allmost like it is running on 2 cylinders) any suggestions thanx

Guest 2b cruising

If you timed your engine by the crank markings you could quite easily be 180" out. To quick check. If you can see cam lobes on no1 or 4

Make sure on number one that lobes are facing directly away from cyl head and valve tops.or on no 4 both lobe face towards cylinder head. This is known as the rocking possition. Exhaust valve just closed and inlet valve about to open. Alternately, remove spark plug from number one cyl. Turn engine backwards away from timing, marks then hold thumb on numerous one cyl spark plug hole. Turn engine in correct rotation and you should feel compression escaping. If no compression do the same on number 4. If compression there you have timed on number 4 instead of number 1.

Very easily done, it happens to all of us at least once. So worth a quick check. You can then just alter plug leads at coil or dizzy end to correct places to suit. No need to retime if timing was 180" out.

HTH. Ken.

You should have 1 and 4 leads on one side of the coil pack and 2 and 3 on the other. If it's like that and not firing try swapping the leads to the opposite sides. Ignore any numbers marked on the coil pack as the plug may be wired differently with the nodiz.

Guest windscreen man

This may sound silly but hey I am no mechanic , I put a timing light on lead 1 and it flashed when I turnrd it over, could my timing still be 180 degree s out?.. thanx lew

Guest 2b cruising

Yes. If you can see the cam drives and there marks, you can see the cam turns once to every two turns of the crank. So crank marks line up once on number 1 and again on number 4.