Help, Still No Self Centering

Guest paul thompson

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cantbearsed

Stiffer engine mounts are availble from Fraud. Genuine ones have a steel outer case but are £57 EACH :o

Pearl Parts do some good ones and if you haggle your car parts dealer down they work out at about £30 for the pair :D

Failing that, Moprod do them and have been making them since the Mk3 Cortina arrived on the scene! (MRM161 i believe...)

Pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Guest ant.b

hi

my journey to the sva was 99% motorway , so not to many potholes about , just a little bumpy when you did come across one , but if it gets you a first time pass its gotta be worth doing :) ant, the mounts i saw were in the burton power catalogue , which are a lot stiffer than the standard ones, about £30 plus p&p ant

Guest paul thompson

Here is something I thought of today. I have wheels from a peugeot which have an off set of 18 mm instead of the standard 35. This means that the steering roll (or scrub) radius is bigger. This makes the steering lighter, do you think it could be contributing to the lack of self centreing? Reasoning is if it requires less effort to turn it, it has less forces trying to push it back. Any thoughts?

With the offset of the Peugeot wheels you have effectively moved the centre of the tyre away from the inclination line going through the top and bottom ball joints to the road.

Read this HERE about 1/2 way down the page.(steering axis inclination)

Have you tried it with the donor wheels on the car, I used my sierra wheels for SVA mainly to make sure the speedo was correct but it self centered a bit better than it does now with wider wheels on.

Les

Guest paul thompson

Slight problem there, I have (due to lack of space) disposed of the donor wheels. My neighbour over the road is building a sub K and he has some sierra wheels, I'll try and borrow those to try it out. Thanks for the link Les, very useful. I'll be getting my Steering shaft back today, so I'll try it out tonite.

One thought I had (no time before SVA though) was to fit the Jag Power steer rack I have and the pump and get a new set of top wishbones made so tha I can increase the caster to about 7 degrees. This will give great self centreing but make the steering very heavy which I can counteract with the power steering. Before I get all the girly name calling, the steering I have is speed sensitive but in default mode (no speed signal) it goes to the heavyist characteristic (about 10 Nm to open the valve) I've measured the torque top steer at rest and it's 15 Nm. The result should be a bit easier to steer at rest but as the valve is barely opening during driving I will be getting hardly any assistance.

Guest paul thompson

:gdit: :gdit: :gdit: :wacko: :boohoo: :boohoo:

AAAAARRRRGHHHHHH!

Ok I have had my fill with this Sh!t I have tried everything I can thnk of and nothing works!

I have bashed the wishbones with RHE adjusting tool to push top wishbone back and bottom wishbone forward, didn't help, I greased the rack, I loosened the UJ in the steering shaft, I adjusted the KPI and measured the hell out of everything, last resort was to borrow pair of sierra wheels and try the different offset. What happened I now have self centreing but only in reverse!!! and going forward with a slight steering angle causes the damn thing to self steer!!!

I'm going down the pub. I'm gonna get a crate of stella, any one fancy helping me to try and fix it while drinking them? We could allways throw the empty tins at an effergy of Richard!!

I am sooo happy with the rest of the car. I'm away this weekend so only have Wed Thursday to fix it.

At least it didn't self steer with my wheels.

Guest paul thompson

Does any one in the leamington area have a 2B with wishbones they could bring round so I can measure and compare? I would come to yours but as I want to measeure both and can't bring mine, I can't.

Please please help.

First half tin of stella already gone.

I think I might throw it in fo rthe test anyway and see what else it fails on. and then if it only fails on the self centreing I'll drive it down to beachy head and send it for aswim.

Guest petrie51

Hi Paul

Had a Bit of self centreing one way only,

fitted donor wheels pumped up the tyres took car for MOT and had the

tracking Adjusted at MOT, on the way home had good self centreing both ways

Andy

Have you tried about five degrees of negative camber without moving the strut up or down. Set the mushroom with its bolt at 3 o'clock viewed from standing behind the R front wheel looking down on it. Set the camber only by winding the top ball joint into the wishbone not by rotating the mushroom. Use the Ford wheels. That would increase KPI by 5 degrees and look pretty strange but should increase self centering. I don't know the length of the mushroom on your setup but have you fitted it pushed well into the hub carrier? The closer the outer wishbone joints are together the greater the castor.

Both these changes mess up tracking so you have to reset to parallel and the latter could rotate the hub carrier, alter the angle of the track rods to the wishbones and introduce or change any bump steer present. (I had to raise my steering rack to eliminate this after I had new wishbones made up)

Desperate measures and I would drive carefully like this but it may help.

Nigel

Guest paul thompson

The mushroom is as far down as it will go. What I don't understand is, with it set up like it is why does it self centre in reverse? It shouldn't do that! I'm so depressed. :boohoo:

Guest paul thompson

I am so fed up with this issue that I am talking to everyone I know now. I was a customer today who makes 6 wheeled airpot crash tenders. So I asked them. One of them has a Stuart Taylor. He told me that toe OUT was important and that I should aim for about 2 to 3 degrees overall (1-1.5 per side) Also that the main efec for self centreing on their chassis (a bit different I know) is KPI. The run up to 18 degrees of KPI to help with that. I'm waiting for a guy at Morgan to call me back and I'll talk to him about it too. I'm gonna try and measure the toe later and see if adjusting the KPI (and consequentially camber) changes anything. No one want to help me finish off the stella? Big jim said that would work!!