Guest salty_monk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Friar Tuck

Jon

Since when have Friar's been Monks ??

By the way, it is spelt F R I A R, not a misspelt version of the french for brother, although this is probably the origin of the name given to my wandering fore fathers, and that is "fore"(as in golf) and not "four", which would be a slur on my parentage !!!

All good fun, we should carry this on in chit chat if required and not hijack this thread.

The FRIAR

Oh and by the way, I have cut my gearstick down by approx 4 inches!

Guest chris

:lol: Dave .(and a few others)Sorry that is the choke lever,it poss looks larger because of the angle of the shot!I would be interested in that type of hand brake if I could source one and figure out how to "plumb it in"

regards chris :ph34r:

volkswagon type 2's (campervans, pickups, vans etc) had a dash mounted pull and twist handbrake that looked very similar to that, but a bit bigger.

it was attached to a long lever that went out through the floor to a pivot point then it operated as a normal handbrake does.

could be possible to adapt if you can get the bits off a dead v dub van

cheers

Steve

Guest robin

I forgot to mention that when you cut down the shaft, you are also reducing the throw of the gearknob. Effectively you are creating a quickshifter with a lot less work.

You could try the listed mod aswell but you might find the gears too close together and end up crunching from 5th to 2nd on the down change(ouch). ;)

Guest salty_monk

You could also check out both the 2CV (dyane etc) or the Morgan for that style of handbrake....

Will try cutting off a couple of inches & keep trying it till I'm happy I guess, I'd already worked out that the shorter the lever the shorter the throw.....

Guest salty_monk

Thanks Chris... Have read that one & it looks like a plan as mine sits down just in front of passenger seat...

Not really sure I understand the term "fly off" though.... (maybe I'm showing my age here :lol: Does that mean it releases really quick without having to keep the button pressed all the way down??

Will add this one to the list of jobs behind - cowling for fan, fit new radiator, buy & fit new seats, cut down gear stick, shorten sump & remake sump guard, extend boot box, find out what spare switch on transmission tunnel does, fit a reversing light, shorten fuel sender, shorten filler pipe, try to get spare wheel to sit central & not cover filler cap, sort out wing mirrors so you can see in them, make some wind deflectors.

Think that's pretty much definitive :lol: Perhaps I should also add, make up new wheel centres - "turbo racing" is so muppet oh & paint any uppainted bits of chassis (generally the bits inside the cab...) :rolleyes: :blink: :lol:

Guest Roger 2B

With a fly-off handbrake, you depress the button to make the handbrake stay on - as opposed to using it to release the handbrake. To release you just pull then let go.

The benefit of the fly-off is that you won't wind up the handbrake staying on after performing handbrake turns - if you leave the button alone it won't lock on.

With a conventional handbrake it can happen that, in the heat of the moment, your thumb slips off the button and the handbrake stays on ruining your otherwise handbrake turn.

Unless you are planning on doing handbrake turns I can't see a benefit to the conversion.

Guest Andy Rathbone

dragging you kicking and screaming back onto topic, the kind sole who removed the gearbox for me cut my stick off just above the anti vibration bit, on my other leaver it is full ford length, i am told by other guys in the midlands (hi fellas) just cut the thread off the full length and recut the thread and this is an acceptable and comfortable height, so im making one from the cutoff and a very nice pool ball ;) no its not the 8 :D