Cat C Buy Back From Insurance

ZeroKnowledge

My brother has had a bump in his 2003 Citroen C5, rear door & arch dented & scratches. other party admitted liability

the insurance company is writing it off but said he could buy it back as a cat C.

its in good nick so he wants to buy it back.

Has anyone done this?

Whats the step by step process ?

how much does it cost for VIC & applying for V5 ?

how long would car be off the road ?

cheers Paul

Guest janis

I bought lexus is 220d in auction for myself..cat c..vic test was i think 80 or so..u book test then its like 5min...not every test centre do one so u will need transporter to your closest one..then u get tax book in couple weeks...i heard some insurance companys dont want to insure it cat c but mine had no problems..just needed vis pass certificate and mot certificate..its really easy and nothing difficult about it..

Just another thing is that it will be recorded and it will be hard to sell..

Guest chris brown

As said there are no problems we are in progress of doing a Ford Smax at the moment just needs a MoT when finished even if old one is still valid and the VIC test which is just a check to make sure it is the car as stated and not a ringer. This test has nothing to do with the condition of the car or the repair.

A note of caution, I rebuilt a Peugeot 309GTi that I bent the rear axle on, simple sill repair and scrapyard axle ( only 6 bolts holds it on) the bloody insurance company wanted an engineers report to re insure it, cost me as much as the repair

Plus 1 for being hard to sell on. I bought a Saab that was cat D repaired vic tested and mot'd it, ran if for a couple of years great car, couldn't sell it ended up driving it into the scrap yard. Mind scrap was a good price at the time ended up costing me next to nothing in depreciation!

PS was eay to vic test. There was also a place in Wimbledon at the time which I took all the docs and some money to in exchange for a tax disc. I would guess you can do this online nowadays??

Got it sorted yet?

Peter2b

update

as he never gave the car or V5 to the insurance the only thing he has to do is have a VIC before the tax needs doing

he`s keeping the car & running it into the ground, which he was doing anyway before bump

cheers Paul