Advice Please, To Replace Pinto With A Zetec Engine

Guest petelee

Guest petelee

Hi Guys (& Gals)

I'm getting fed-up with various problems with my Pinto 2-litre engine in my 2B! If I was to buy a Ford Focus with a Zetec engine, and fit the engine into my 2B, how much other work would be needed? Would it need an adapter for the Sierra gearbox, for example? What else would I have to get? I assume the exhaust would have to be replaced as well. Which engine is best for a 2B - 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0? I'm not after performance, just reliability!

Or is it more cost-effective and more simple to buy a brand new Zetec, and build up from scratch.

Any ideas on total costs on either route?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Guest david_l_perry

My pinto was working fine as well other than the usual "pinto self lubricanting garage floor oil system". I just swapped engines primarily as a project to do, not a project I needed to do.

I sold the pinto and type 9 box for £775

To buy a used engine of unknown condition was too much of a risk in my mind.

I bought a full working car, (Jag S Type) for £720 so I could run the car for a couple of months and test all was good with the engine and gearbox. It was.

I sold the Jag wheels for £200, other jag bits for roughly another £200. So far so good, free engine and box that I could confirm all was good

I spent the last 6 months carrying out the job, and have generally really enjoyed the process. Only real expense was the Emerald ECU. Lots of smaller bits to buy, that do add up, but nothing remotely as costly as I thought it could have been.

Several bits for low to mid £hundreds to buy, new digital speedo, new prop shaft, pedal box, clutch assembly.

I got very good at taking the engine in and out.

Exhaust was cheap enough for a pair of used cans, and the stainless pipes came from a pal who worked in tubing, so costs for that we're pretty low as well. Lots of this boils down to being resourceful.

For me it boiled down to wanting to do this rather than really needing to do it.

Just on with shake down trails at the moment. Third drive out yesterday and I am soooooo glad I changed....

It's been an intense 6 months, and the only struggle has been the part out of my control, and that was the rolling road setup as the guy took forevor. It's running well, but still needs a little I think, and will be taking it to an alternate Rolling road chap.

I wanted to just try something a little different, and the Jag lump suited me, but lots of knock on changes that I had to deal with, that a Zetec may not get.

Read as much about what other issues people came across in as many threads as you can.

Ultimately, if it's an itch You need to scratch, crack on and enjoy......

if you do decide to go for a zetec conversion go for the 2litre, even if your not really interested in more performance. the 2 litre will give you a better cruising speed with less effort. safer overtaking when required, and possibly better fuel economy albiet marginal as the engine won't be working as hard. Also if you can pick up a complete Mondeo as I did for £350 with 75,000 miles on the clock it turn out to be a free engine as I broke the car sold the bits then weighed the car into the scrap yard.

best of luck with it.

ps best thing you will ever do to a Robin Hood

Andy