Asymmetric Tread

Guest red7

Guest Bazwaz

On the sidewall their should be an arrow pointing to the rotational direction or it may say "this side facing outwards" if they're directional tyres.

Barry.

Mitch, you must have been typing that at the same time as me.

They are Continental Premiumcontact and the outside indicators are on the outside. No direction indicators are visible. They came with the wheels. The tread pattern looks completely wrong. This is a real brain teaser.

post-10-1090273694.jpg

Putting "outside edge" on them surely won't work as the outside edge stays the same when its put on the other side of the car, but the direction of rotation changes. Directional tyres usually have an arrow on them somewhere. Failing that give us a closer pic of the tread and someone on here may work it out. If the rears don't match either then perhaps both offsides are on the same axle, and likewise with the nearside. That sould explain it.

Ant

Guest daveg

10 out of 9 for Ant :D

Ant is right of course :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The tyre should have an arrow to indicate rotational velocity (which way it turns for Joseph) :p

All motorbike tyres have had this arrow for the past 20years as far as I can remember :huh: :p

Dave

If you have directional tread then they should be opposite, i.e. one of your tyres needs to be turned round. Look at the back wheels of a tractor, the ribs are apposing. If you travel on a wet road, the water will be pushed out of the same side and will push your car one way, if they are apposing the force will be equal and you will carry on in a strait line.

The tyres won’t have a direction arrow because it depends what side of the car they’re on.

Some tyres are built 'both directional' (or whatever the technical term is!) but with an *outside edge* as it's the outside edge of the tyre that takes most abuse when cornering. This of course means that they can go on either side of the car, so long as the outside edge is on the outside. You usually find that there's a difference in the tread pattern, with one side of the tyre having more grooves than the other.

I've seen some a while back with the arrow only on one side, coz on the near side of the car it was a sod to see them as they were on the inside edge. I think it's safe to say that directional tyres should have "an arrow on them somewhere".

Ant

Guest Steve.G

Steve

I think the near-side tyre may be on 'inside-out'. I've not been over to the garage to see if there are arrows or markings on my tyres but you can see from the picture that both sides form a similar 'V' pattern.

(Some of you may recognise the long-term parking facility for kit-cars where this picture was taken :angry: )

post-10-1090322614.jpg

Guest AWhite

Don't know if this helps but my Yokohama a539 are not directional tyres but (like Jim says) must be put on with the correct edge facing outwards. This means that the spare can be put on the right or the left. Doesn't seem to affect the grip because they stick like i don't know what!

Andy