Help With Wiring

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Hi,

I've got a MK1 Mondeo light switch to use on my car, but I need some help with the wiring. Does anyone out there have a manual with a wiring diagram for a Mondeo, who can tell me what each of the pins on the back of the switch do. It's one of those switches that you turn to switch on side/headlights and then pull to operate the fog lights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phill.

Guest Friar Tuck

Sounds like you need to pay a visit to your local reference library. They may well have the manual for the Mondeo, and you should be able to get the info from the wiring diagram.

Otherwise, from the lack of positive responses, it could be a visit to a local motor factors and part with £14.99 for your own copy !! Seems excessive to me !

Good Luck

The Friar

1. In. Ign Live

2. Out. Earth

4. Out. Running lights or dim/dip. (Side Lights?)

5. Out. Front fogs

6. Out. To terminal 5 on Multifunction switch and switching current to dip relay

7. In. Switch illumination bulb. Common with dash illumination bulbs

8. Out. Park lights

9. Out. Park lights

10. In. Ignition on live

11. In. Live only if ignition off

13. Out. Number plate and dash illumination

14. In. Constant live

15. Out. Rear fog

This is one seriously wierd switch. I shouldn't bother with 8 9 and 11. They really are parking lights, only working when the ignition switch is in the off position.

If you want twin circuits for side lights I would suggest a relay with twin outputs switched by the output of 4.

The multifunction switch gets a supply from 6 above to its terminal 5 and a constant live to terminal its 4 and switches main relay on and off with output from its 2. It looks as if dip is on constantly.

I couldn't find a function for 3 and 12 but the above should get you started. I would suggest you get a manual or seriously think about fitting the sierra stalks!

Nigel

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Cheers Longboarder thats exactly what I need.

You're not wrong about the switch I tried mega-ing it through with my test gauge, but the number of possible combinations was just too much to fathom!

The SS comes with stalks from I think a honda/rover of some sort, which you have to butcher to get to fit. I've managed to get a set of Ford Focus stalks which are correct for the steering columns supplied with the SS, so I'll be using them, but they don't control the lights, hence the need for the Mondeo light switch which will fit nicely to the right of the steering wheel in the SVA exempt area.

Thanks

Phill.

Guest rhetorical-oracle

I got them off of ebay. Where else can you find such a plethera of stuff no-one else wants. I paid £20 for both stalks, one of them even has an info button for the trip computer, that I'll convert into a horn button, much better than Richard's stalks and using the rear washer function or whatever he suggests as a horn.

I can't see any more on ebay at the mo, but I'm sure there must be plenty of breakers who have accident damaged focuses (or should that be focii?!?)

Phill

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Not a problem for me, as the parts I've got from ebay were boxed new parts. I was only suggesting a breakers could be an alternate source, although as you say not of new parts.

Phill.

Guest Dredd

Phill

Where is our steering column sourced from? I was wondering if I could source stalks from Ka / Puma / Focus? Which model Focus did yours come from? :huh:

Guest salty_monk

Talking of Ebay... what about getting yourselfthe modeo manual from there...

There's always loads on there, 2 examples are below just search for Haynes & Mondeo together... be surprised if you pay more than 3 or 4 quid incl postage.

Mondeo 1

Mondeo 2

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Dredd,

I only found out it was from a Focus because I asked Richard, and he cryptically said it was from a late model Ford, and he didn't include the proper stalks as they cost too much. I believe they're about £25 quid each from Ford.

I saw the stalks on ebay and thought that they looked about the right shape to fit the column, so I got them and they fit so therefore I'm assuming it's a Focus column.

I'm not too sure what model of Focus they're from, I think that they are pretty standard across the Focus range.

Phill.

Guest Dredd

Thanks

I would have asked Richard myself, but having spoken to him on a number of occassions recently, I would have rather pulled my toenails out :lol: