Focus 1.6 Ti-Vct Issues

Grim

Hi all,

I've been given a car by my brother. Apart from needing a set of tyres and a driveshaft, it also has an engine problem.

Symptoms are that it is down on power and reports a cam shaft position sensor fault. Also on startup, it makes a clattering noise, similar to a dodgy hydraulic lifter. Cam sensor has been changed with no effect.

Reading around the subject, it does appear to be a variable valve timing issue. I've seen reports suggesting the cause of the problem is a blocked oil filter within the cylinder head which cannot be changed, but i don't know if this is true for my case.

Whilst driving it until it explodes is a valid option, i'd rather fix it if possible. Does anyone have any experience of this engine, or even a spare engine/head? Can the vvt system be replaced?

Andy

Edited by Grim

I don't know what engine this is. Possibly sigma? Does it have VVT on both cams? If so have both sensors been changed? Have you verified the wire runs from the sensors back to the ECU plug? Has the cambelt jumped a tooth on one of the pulleys?

Nigel

I think it's a sigma with vvt actuators on both camshafts, not entirely sure until the weekend when my brother brings the car over.

The inlet cam sensor have been changed and swapped to exhaust, same issue.

Will check wire runs and cambelt when i get it (belt will need to be changed sooner or later).

I've done some furious googling, and have noticed that there are some very fine filters on the vvt control solenoids, which i can remove easily to clean if needs be.

Guest chris brown

We had a similar problem with one a couple of months ago we checked timing several times it wasn't until we bought the correct locking kit (the bar for locking the cams isn't stright across like the zetec). We were only about 2 or 3 degrees out but the car ran awful.

• 2 months later...

So, i thought i'd post an update to this thread, as there's nothing more annoying when trying to search for solutions to problems, and finding more questions!

I checked over the oil control solenoid and cam sensor wiring, and all proved ok. No crap or such like in the solenoids.

Decided to bite the bullet and buy the locking kit (£50) a cam belt kit (£50), vvt pulley (£70) and bolt (£2.50). The car was overdue a cam belt anyway, and changing the vct pulley at the same time was only an hour's extra work. However the job took me 16 hours in total over 1 afternoon and 4 evenings as i had to remove pretty much everything that wasn't the engine from the engine bay.

Cleared the fault code (P000A), test drive went badly, reconnected the vct solenoid, cleared new code, and it's sorted. 8)

Did a few more jobs, including a new driveshaft and coil, now it just needs an MOT by the end of the month!

Andy

• Like 1