Passed Mot But Cant Tax The Car...

Guest boggie

Guest boggie

After all the work over the last couple of weeks the car sailed through the MOT today. Tester was very complimentary :)

However, he issued me with a contingency MOT. It seems the DVSA have rolled out a brand new cloud-based MOT system and it collapsed immediately. For days now the system has been down and DVSA phone help centre has been swamped so it too has collapsed. Around 16,000 test stations have been affected and as the DVSA decommissioned the old system there is no fall-back plan. I can 't understand it; Government run IT projects usually work so well......

I tried to tax the car using the contingency MOT certificate number but the tax website says there is no valid MOT so I can't tax it. I need to use the car this week for my commute but there are VOSA cameras on the A40 near where I work and there is no way to avoid them....

B

Guest peter2b2002

I took me 4 days before I could tax my z3 after I had a vic check, so I think that's because they have closed all the local dvla offices claiming it would save a lot of money and be easier to do ever thing on line

peter2b

It's some fancy new broadband system that they are using to send MOT info to the central computer that keeps dropping out.

Had my MOT at 1pm on Monday and the system was offline until 11.30am, the garage were about to ring me and tell me not to bother coming when it all came back on line.

Guess I was lucky as I got a test and a pass.

Go to the post office. It is surprising how much they can actually still do there.

I had to change the tax class on my new daily from Disabled back to PLG which DVSA kept saying "send the V5 plus another form and another form and fees etcetc then we will send it out to you" Was meant to allow 4-6 weeks for the V5 to arrive, then had to send off this new change of tax class stuff which could take a further 6 weeks. Before you know it, my new car could have been sat waiting for all this to come through for 3 months! I'm waiting for them to change it again. Thankfully having bought 2 cars under these new laws I have not been caught out waiting for the new V5 or struggling to tax a car (this 2nd one getting close), but to do it by the book in theory have to buy the car and ask the seller to hold on to it for another 4-6 weeks before you can actually collect it! Either way, having purchased tax Friday and driving 160miles over the weekend, I'm waiting for an ANPR camera to flag up no tax whilst their system updates.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mdav1970

I had a similar issue when i took the car off the road in December and went to re tax it in February. Baring in mind i only got the car on the road registered 1st November, when i phoned the DVLA for instructions on obtaining TAX as the website said i needed MOT number, i was told i would need to MOT it 1st, They also told me they understand as a new registration on a Q plate that i didn't need to MOT it for 3 yrs and it was only 2 months since it was IVA tested.

Well i took the log book straight to the post office to see what they would say, who scanned the bar code and said computer says i wasn't due for an MOT yet and they were able to issue TAX? a case of left hand, right hand.

Bought new van in june woke up this morning thinking I dont remember getting V5 in the post so check file for Van no V5 Ask every one in house nope. this is the second time I have not received Documents for a van. have just sent off for new one, hope they are happy with photo copy of V5 slip I would not trust them with the original.