Speedo Advice

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

I bought a stack speedo a few months ago, and although it is very nice I don't think I will be able to use it for iva. This is due to the calibration method for the speedo, basically you put it into calibration mode, and then drive a preset distance of exactly 2 miles, then you press reset and drive exactly 2 miles again, which then completes the calibration, this will be very hard to do legally before iva, my plan was to take the wheel speed reading off the oem front 2 wire abs sensor as the unit can read from this or it can read from a 3 wire proximity sensor, this means I will have to use a different speedo for the iva test, I cannot find one that will fit in the same hole as the stack gauge, but I can get one that would temporarily go in place of the 52mm volt meter. However this acewell gauge uses a completely different sensing method, ie 3 wire magnetic Hall effect or reed switch. You can calibrate the acewell by doing a calculation and inputting a figure into the settings which can be fiddles with if its a little out.

This is a little annoying as I would like to find a way of getting the stack speedo set up and useable for iva. But short of working out how many rotations I would have to turn the wheel by hand which is around 3000! And sitting for a few hours doing that to find it's not accurate enough...

Any one got a better idea?

Guest 2b cruising

Would it be possible to do it on either 4 wheel drive rollers or even brake rollers where the roller drives the wheel and not like performance rollers where the wheel drives the rollers.

Do you know anyone in the trade that might lend you trade plates.

Any nice long country roads to travel down at 2 am.

Man, are you honest... there are people out there who drive without insurance, tax, MOT, while banned, drunk, high and you're not sure about driving 4 miles for a reason that any reasonable cop would understand even if they did pull you over?

I just spent the weekend with an East-End cockney mate whose brother-in-law is a convicted armed robber and who drinks with the son of some nutter who was in cahoots with the Kray twins - the stories he tells me make driving offences laughable.

Guest mcramsay

Kind of obvious driving down a public road with no number plates on, plus after spending in excess of 15k and 2 years work on the car, I wouldn't like to see it crushed over being unlicensed on the road, and me not having any insurance to drive it.

I didnt think of a rolling road, would they be able to measure driven distance accurately? I did think of driving it on axle stands, but I have no way of counting wheel rotations! It's a really silly way of having to calibrate the speedo that's for sure!

Edited by mcramsay

Guest 2b cruising

A HGV place that does tachograph calibration would be able to complete it for you.

Their roller do count revs and take tyre size into account.

If you don't know of one, the local vosa will be able to let you know.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest mcramsay

I had another idea, slightly long winded but here we go, the speedo can use an abs sensor as a pick up, my plan was to use the stock BMW front left abs sensor on the hub and then buy one of those digital measuring wheels you used at school as a kid, and then rig it up to the front wheel, and spin it until the distance calculator reads. 2 miles. Will that work?