Wheel Geometry On 2B Plus

Graham B

I thought I would repost some info , that I had to trawl for.

I have just had my geometry checked and set up having fitted the new "handling" wishbones and thought I would share the results.

The rear of my car is standard and I have not tried wedges etc , so the setting are as is :

Rear camber L - 1deg 52 min toe in 32 min

R - 2deg 14 min 21 min

So camber could be adjusted but toe is not too far out ( about 1mm each side).

The front is now set up :

Camber L&R 1deg 07 min

Toe in 4 min ( just a touch in from parallel.)

I'll now see how it drives !!

Edited by Graham B

Hi Graham.

Have just test fitted the GBS handling pack kit on my 2b+ and have two questions for you. When fitting the top wishbone ball joints and adjusting to 1deg camber each side.The drivers side ball joint has 3 threads plus the large lock nut to wishbone stub end. The passengers side has 10 threads plus the large lock nut to the stub end are yours this unequal? Also what caster reading do you get on the top hat section of cycle wing bracket that fixes into the hub carrier I'm using spirit level app on iPhone are they equal as my top wishbones are a snug fit in the square hollow frame section allowing no shim adjustment.

Regards Alan.

Guest 2b cruising

I've got the new handling pack fitted,

GBS did it for me while doing some body work after a smash.

Camber they said was set to 1.5 deg.

Looke to me it might have been done in a rush as the o/s is different than the n/s.

I'm unsure what the actual castor angle is but it looks roughly around the 6 deg mark.

The handling has improved but I think that is mainly due to the greatly increased castor angle.

I do intend getting it pro set up but as yet I have not got round to it.

Going back to GBS for remedial work as soon as I've got spare time so I will leave it till after that.

I also have fitted the rear spacer pack and will take the opportunity to have that sorted at the same time.

Edited by 2b cruising

The caster is in the 6-8 degree range specified for this type of chassis. The numbers were on the rig but not on the printed sheet. I will call them and get Monday.

My joints are about equal thread wise. Adjusted measured -28 minutes per turn. My criteria was 1 to 1.5 deg ,so chose closer to 1.

As said above, no chassis was really the same. I have big spacers in the rear top mounts to make up the gaps.

Thank you for your advise and comments it has eased my concerns over the thread turns distance on ball joints. The original wishbone set up was a pigs ear with 3 different mounting holes drilled on top L shape support like a elongated slot i have now over plated this with a stainless flat bar with correct hole position drilled to be welded on.

Jacko,

Dont expect all parts to be perfect. Some fit , many have to be "adjusted".

It was a kit that could be put together to make a car -no-one said perfect. There were always adjustments to be made, better bits to eb bought and fitted.... Hence tinkering-itis !!