Floor Strengthening On My Early 2B

Guest Tiggyman

Guest Tiggyman

HELP!! Can anybody suggest how I can strengthen the floor to accomodate seat mounts, seat belt mounts and the handbrake area,,,any advise would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Also check out section 19 "Seat Belt Anchorages" in the IVA Manual, it gives you some ideas of what the examiner will be looking for.

But good solid welded plates as in John's site link above is your best route.

I should have pointed out that if you use the outer mounting point as the guide to where to position your inner mount points then they will be too far forward.

my 2B failed on the lower mounting positions being too far forward which would allow "submarining" in the event of an accident i.e. you will slide under the belt.

I had to reposition the mounts further back, pics attached, it then passed no problems.

Hope I explained this clearly.

post-2376-0-02968900-1445956803_thumb.jpg

post-2376-0-96312000-1445956776_thumb.jpg

I used 2 right angled lengths of 3 mm steel that run across the car from the lower side tubes of the chassis, these pick up the seat mounts and the inner lower belt pick ups. From the front piece I welded another short piece at 90 degrees running forward to pick up the handbrake. Simple but effective. The third piece could be bolted to the front support instead of welded on if that is not in your skill set.