Uprated Engine

Guest Dom

So after being in ownership of my 2b for around 4 weeks I have got a bit power hungry. After having 2 high power Subaru impreza's the urge for a bit more uummph than I have got from my 2L pinto is always niggling me. So I have found myself a Cossie engine, all ancillaries, ecu etc and a T5 gearbox.

I have read that this will pretty much drop straight in, but my question is regarding a new prop shaft. Do I need to buy a slightly shorter one or do I just simply chop some of the spline end off to stop it from damaging the seals on either gearbox or diff?

Guest Ian & Carole

A new custom made shaft won't be a lot of money and if you start chucking cossie power through I would want to know there are no weak spots any where in the drive line.

"boat and half penneth of tar" springs to mind.

Guest 2b cruising

Wait until you mount the engine and tranny before you even think about what shaft you put in.

Length from face to face won't do you.

You need a must have a sliding joint at one end for suspention movement.

By going to a respectable manufacturers or retailers, you will get the correct strength and working length.

Guest mower man

Why would he need a sliding joint if its a sierra back end , the diff is fixed ,if its alive axle ok but not with a std hood rear :acute: mick ps the length must be measured before consulting a prop mfr to many variables in home builds

Edited by mower man

Maybe consider some sort of containment in case the thing should break considering the extra power. Thinking safety here. And perhaps a hatch to get to the grease nipples before the whole thing gets hidden down the transmission tunnel - the universal joint towards the front of my car is very hard to get to.

There is always a degree of movement unless engine, gearbox and diff are solidly mounted

The diff on a 2b nay be solidly mounted but gearbox is on a rubber mount as is the engine

Driveline shunt and a solid fixed driveshaft will fubar the UJ's in short time

I have read that this will pretty much drop straight in, but my question is regarding a new prop shaft. Do I need to buy a slightly shorter one or do I just simply chop some of the spline end off to stop it from damaging the seals on either gearbox or diff?

If I remember rightly my prop needed shortening around 25mm , but didn't last to long before the uj s gave up , I had an uprated one made with larger uj s at northwest propshafts that has been fine since , the servo will have to go or be reversed and watch out for clearance on the throttle body housing to the chassis top rail/tube as its can be close , vibratechnic engine mounts will probably be needed as the old Sierra ones flex too much

Edited by ant.b

Sealed for life units are now standard the most common units on propshaft so.

Even on hard working massive powered commercials.

I shall go and do my lines and write a thousand times: "It is not a series II Landrover. It is not a series II Landrover. It is not a series II Landrover. It is not a series II Landrover..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

(It was my dads Landrover which was the first car I did any bit of looking after on.) :good: