Led Control

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

Been having a few thoughts about my switches, and wondered if there are any electronics guys that could offer advice, currently I am using savage switches, that have an led contact to provide illumination to the switch, currently I have them wired so that the switch illumination comes on with the side lights, I was thinking it would be good if the switch could work as follows- the switch lighting up dimly when operated by the illumination, but then to go much brighter once the switch was activated. For example the hazard switch illuminating with the lights being turned on, and then flashing dim to bright when activated...

I was thinking a dimmer control feeding the illumination circuit at like 8v, and then wired in on the same Feed would be the switched feed from the output of the switch giving 12v to the led when switched, would that work or end up sending 20v into the led and popping it?

Any one any ideas?

Just an idea and if it's too much work I won't bother!!!

I'be done just this thing.

I used one pole of the switch for the function and the second pole to switch the side lights via a 4700 ohm resistor.

On one side of the switch wire the power to pin 1 and the output from pin 2 goes to feature (lamp) and also to pin 2 of second pole.

On the other pole of the switch connect side light feed via the resistor into pin 3 and connect pin 1 to led A. Led B is ground.

When switch is not activated pin 3 is normally closed so side light feed is connected to led but dimmed due to resistor. Activate the switch and the side light is disconnected and the output from pin 2 from the other switch is feed to the led at full brightness.

I know pictures would be easier but I'm on a tablet.

That's the picture I would have posted.

There is one issue if you use this with the fog light circuit.

With only side lights on, if you press the fog switch the light will go out on the switch, this is because the fog lights only operate with headlights and there is no power to illuminate the LED(+VE Feed would be foglight feed). Wont be an IVA or MOT issue as the fog light wont be on and if its dark enough to need the illumination to find the switch then you would have headlights on.

Just something to bear in mind when testing your handy work.