Thermostat And Coolant Sensor

nelmo

I'm trying to use the original Ford thermostat on my 2.0 Zetec with an Emerald ECU. However, the engine's original coolant sensor is screwed into the cylinder head and is not compatible with the Emerald ECU. The thermostat does not have any threaded access to take the Emerald sensor.

I was planning on just fitting it to the outlet pipe of the thermostat but then I have the problem of the ECU thinking the engine is cold for much longer than it really is (until the thermostat opens).

I really wanted to avoid the extra cost of a water rail (the GBS one has an extra bit of pipe between engine and thermostat and that is where they have holes to fit the sensors).

What are opinions on sensor after the thermostat? Apart from extra fuel, am I risking engine damage in some way? How much extra fuel - would it be noticeable? Anyone done this?

As a follow on - has anyone gone without a thermostat at all? I guess the risk is never getting the engine to a good operating temperature - is that easy to do without a thermostat?

Guest mcramsay

Can you not remove the oem temp sensor in the head, and replace with one the emerald can use? That of you can drill and tap the thermostat housing to take the emerald temp sensor, there should be two blanked off recesses on the thermostat housing for this

Can you not remove the oem temp sensor in the head, and replace with one the emerald can use? That of you can drill and tap the thermostat housing to take the emerald temp sensor, there should be two blanked off recesses on the thermostat housing for this

I was wondering if that was possible - is that hole in the top one that you mean?

https://goo.gl/photos/bHfmqQjyyz4nqKRv5

Yes, I've already got those but I bought them before actually looking at the thermostat. Only when I did that I realised it didn't have any ready-made holes.

OK, I'll get drilling - if it doesn't work, I'll just have to get the water rail...

Thanks... :-)

Edited by nelmo

Guest mcramsay

Just make sure buy the correct tap set, i would take the housing off and set it up in a pillar drill, easy for the drill to wander in the plastic and leave you with an oval hole.