Weird Whining Noise...

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

Have a weird whining noise (sounds abit like a noisy diff or gear box).

It's worse in 5th & worst when I am just tickling the throttle but it's always there when I have power on & completely dissapears when I throttle back.... :unsure:

It started the other day after I had done 2 things... Changed Rad for a dual core coolman (also changed top & bottom hoses) & cut a couple of incehes off my gear stick & put an after market (grub screw stylee) gearknob on.... Can I have put the gearknob on to something putting undue pressure on the linkage or something.. (will take gear knob off & gaiter tomorrow & try it just with the stick to make sure it's not this...)

Also finding it very difficult to change gear after I've been sitting in traffic & the engine bay is roasting... presume that's because neither my exhaust or clutch cable are lagged.... gets much better again when it cools down a bit. Presumably fitting the larger quadrant (in another post will help with this too)

:lol: :lol: verry good!

The changing gear problem sounds like the clutch is binding, as you say, a larger quadrant will fix this or try to get the ratchet on the quadrant up to the next notch.

I don't think the wining is connected (could be wrong) did you just not notice it before?

Various things can make a whining noise, you're just going to have to look for the culprit. Here is a list of some things that can whine (apart from the missis!)

Cam belt too tight.

Water pump or alternator bearings.

Clutch withdrawl bearing.

Any single gear selection, (ie it whines in 2nd but not in others) usually that gear is getting knackered.

All gears. (often shortage of oil in g/box).

Diff, especially on overrun. getting worn out as setting between crown wheel & pinion are now incorrect. (also could be lack of oil)

Wheel bearings. Very common on Hoods, due to increased "stick" given to them. (easy to change)

i'm sure that there more, but those are off the top of my head just now.

your's sounds like it's the diff, but without actuaslly listening myself. I would hesitate to confirm. You MUST lag your clutch cable, you've probably already knackered it!

Guest paul thompson

I have a differentnoise giving me concern at the moment. Every time I change up gears but especially from 1st to 2nd, I get a clonk from the drivetrain. I have been under the car and there seems to me to be a lot of play in the input shaft of the diff. Is it knackered? it has oil, and I never noticed it on the first few trips or in the donor. What have I done to it? can it be fixed? Is it serious?

Guest salty_monk

It's present in every gear, just came on suddenly, (after making the mods to the gear stick/fitting new rad) but what puzzles me is that it only appears when I have my foot on the gas, it dissapears completely when I throttle back! ( & the fact that it's at it's worst on a light throttle..)

The trip immediately after doing the work was on the motorway but I'd done motorway work before... (did 200 miles plus on the motorway the day I bought it..)

Will try releasing gear knob, check oil levels, etc as a first step..

Guest TerryBarry

If you removed the gearstick to shorten it - could be that it's not seating back properly on the selector shaft.

Slight pressure applied to the gearstick whilst in drive can result in a "zizzing" noise on many gearboxes.

If you cut it off in-situ, ignore the above.

The only thing I can think of at the moment then, is that somehow it's still holding the selector too far over, and as Terry says, it can make a noise. make sure that the gaiter isn't holding the G/stick in any way.

I have a differentnoise giving me concern at the moment. Every time I change up gears but especially from 1st to 2nd, I get a clonk from the drivetrain

Paul, that sounds like your clutch is dragging a bit.

Dan,

does the noise alter with your hand resting on top of the gear knob ?

After I put on one of those grub screwed knobs I had an annoying kind of noise/vibration after a short time, a blob of silicone on the end of the shortened gear stick, put knob back on and tighten grub screws with a dot of thread lock on them (dam thinks always work loose) and bobs your uncle, no more noise.

Just a thought

Les

Guest salty_monk

Les - doesn't appear to & pulling it up doesn't make a lot of difference either but it's the only thing I changed (unless it's coincidence).

Will try it with the knob/gaiter removed later to see if that sorts it out.. :unsure:

Guest salty_monk

No difference with knob removed, am changing quad & cable tomorrow & lagging both that & the exhaust which should hopefully rule out the clutch...

Will also check diff oil level.

How the hell do you check & fill the gearbox on a 2b... almost completely inaccessible... - hints please! :(