Weird Whining Noise...

Guest salty_monk

Have a look at the universal joint on the front of the prop shaft I fitted a 2B prop to my Cortina based S7 when the rubber coupling fell apart on old prop. :gdit: The U/J on the front of the 2B prop failed a year later, fitted a new one and had know probs. :D

just sounds like the same sort of thing I had.

Chris.

Guest chris brown
How the hell do you check & fill the gearbox on a 2b... almost completely inaccessible... - hints please
Work out (measure as best you can) where the filler bung is and cut an inspection hole in the tunnel side panel large enough to get to the bung. Then make up cover from scrap metal with a piece of card as a gasket and fasten on with self tapers.

Guest Petemate

Chris - you just beat me to it with that one. Just wot i dun, still gotta make up the panel though. :( Also my panel over the clutch quadrant area looks suspiciously like yours..... <_<

Nice to see you all again today, great day out. :D

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest salty_monk

Sounds like a plan on the gearbox - just like our Morris minor (except that uses a rubber bung not a panel.

Checked the level of oil in the diff yesterday - there is oil in there but it's more than an inch from the filler hole bottom, my Haynes manual says 10mm..

Guess that should be the source of the noise - hope it's not F*****d it completely!! :boohoo:

Presuming that the mechanic who built it wasn't a complete idiot.. (always possible) where can the oil have gone?? There doesn't seem to be any obvious leak.

Will check it every 50 odd miles or so until I'm satisfied it's not leaking after the re-fill.

Will fill it up today with EP90 & then give it a go - if that cures the noise the gearbox can wait!

Lagged my pipes last night & fitted header tank, clutch quadrant & cable + radiator fan cowling to make this evening then I give it a test!

Guest salty_monk

50mm Clutch quad & new unfried clutch cable on today ( old cable was so stiff I could barely pull it through with my fingers!)

Manifold lagged & have also lagged the relevant bit of cable with the same stuff (Pro tec) so will see how that goes.... Am also thinking of devising a heat shield for the brakes, the lines above the manifold seem to get really hot (too hot to hold)... Has anyone had any problems from this?

Filled up the diff today (it took 1ltr, Haynes quotes 1.6 pints which must be about a ltr so I guess it was pretty empty!)

Haven't noticed any leaks on drive etc so I guess this could be one of 2 things - mechanic who built it forgot to fill it or it's all leaked out - if the latter, it must have done it in the first 200 miles, anyone have any ideas where it's most likely to have come from?? Will check the level again after a couple more short runs to see if the level has fallen drastically.

Unfortunately filling the diff hasn't stopped the noise :boohoo: so the gearbox is next on my list, want to make sure the same thing isn't going on in there; although it could be just that the diff is now half knackered after running with no oil!! :(

Oh well - I guess these things are called "charcter"!! :D :rolleyes: :D

Guest timswait

For the master cylinder and brake lines I made up a heat shield from a bit of scrap stainless, attached to the exhaust manifold studs. Took a while to stop it vibrating and making nasty noises though. Fibre glass loft insulation and baking foil is wrapped around the brake lines to make double sure, and I haven't had a spongy pedal even in the 30 degrees we had last summer, also seems suprisingly durable.

I also get a whining, it sounds to be coming from the back of the car, and you only notice it when coasting out of gear with the roof up, it's not very loud. Is this normal? I've also noticed that it doesn't coast very well, but there don't seem to be any binding brakes. Could this be a sign of a worn diff or wheel bearings? I thought wheel bearing rumbled and knocked when on their way out, and there's been none of that.

Tim

Guest salty_monk

Wheel bearings normally rumble. Whining noise I have is definitely noticeable so I guess it's not the same.

Yours could be low oil in the diff or gearbox or just wind noise... or worse case that the diff is a bit worn... until it's grumbling seriously though I wouldn't worry too much about it, I would check the oil though!

Guest salty_monk

No bloody oil in the gearbox either!! :boohoo: The guy who built this was meant to be a pro! :gdit:

Have now filled & will take for a run later to see if the noises have gone or whether it's knackered!

As both Gearbox & Diff were empty & it's only done about 580 miles, what's the likely diagnosis on the amount of damage??

I know my Grandad had a Cortina that ran for a year (he used to commute across London, 50 miles a day) on a gearbox with no oil in it where the garage who serviced or did a clutch or something forgot to fill it up...

Guest chris brown

Like you Dan I have seen g/boxes run for thousands of miles with no oil so with a little bit of luck you should be OK. A mate ran a fiat which lost all its oil out of a driveshaft boot when it stopped leaking he thought it had got better :wacko: he also thought it was engine oil that had been leaking. :wacko: Well 30K miles later we replaced the boot and toped up with oil with no problems. :p

PS

I meant to say that my first diff (3.62) had the same sort of whine on drive between 40 & 60, & none on overrun. It had only 64k on it, so shouldnt have been knackered, but it obviously was.

I now run a 3.92, which is dead silent.

PPS I also have a spare (untried) 3.62 diff if it turns out you need another one.

Bob.

Guest salty_monk

Bob,

Thanks for that. Pretty sure I have a 3.92 as the donor was an injection & I think they all had this diff. That's best for acceleration though right??

I have now filled with oil, gearbox seems fine & the diff is a lot quieter than it was so I'll run with it for now & see how it stands up over the 1k miles or so....

Be good to meet up, life is pretty busy for me at the moment right now though! We'll defo sort something out in the near future.

Cheers!