Cold Start

Guest Barry Knowles

Guest Barry Knowles

full choke. 2mins and starts and runs well.got some accuspark plugs in bit better. now back to same problem. thinking of accuspark coil any ideas..

Guest Barry Knowles

just hard to start cold.when its not run for a week or two.

What's wrong with it...What's it doing...what have you done ?

just hard to start when not used for a week or two.got some accuspark plugs in.little better. just orded accuspark electronic ingnition. see how that goes

More likely to be fuel related. Are you using the standard mechanical fuel pump or electric pump? If mechanical the valves or diaphragm in it may be tired and allowing fuel to drain back and then having problem re-priming itself.

I should say here that you can test that easily enough after the car has stood for a few days. Disconnect the carb end of the fuel pipe and run it into a bottle. Then crank the engine. A tired pump may produce little for many seconds and then a poor flow. A good pump should give good squirts of fuel from the get go.

If it's poor then a new mechanical pump should sort it. If the electrics/spark was the fault I doubt it would run so well once it finally starts.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 2

Guest Barry Knowles

More likely to be fuel related. Are you using the standard mechanical fuel pump or electric pump? If mechanical the valves or diaphragm in it may be tired and allowing fuel to drain back and then having problem re-priming itself.

I should say here that you can test that easily enough after the car has stood for a few days. Disconnect the carb end of the fuel pipe and run it into a bottle. Then crank the engine. A tired pump may produce little for many seconds and then a poor flow. A good pump should give good squirts of fuel from the get go.

If it's poor then a new mechanical pump should sort it. If the electrics/spark was the fault I doubt it would run so well once it finally starts.

Nigel

nigel its a bike pump and bike carbs. got a feeling its bad battery. turning over slow. test that and fit electronic ignition, and coil.should do the trick?

Still sounds fuel related. OK unlikely to be the pump if using bike pump but always worth testing the pump output. Not measured figures but just to see its pumping a good output.

Next is to ask what choke system are you using and is it effective. A cold engine does need significant fuel enrichment in the mixture to start. Like double the fuel! If your carbs are not giving this then that would explain.

Nigel

Guest 2b cruising

Nigel is spot on with the most common cause of this kind of problem with the fuel leaking back to tank.

Turning over slow could be a bad or lazy starter motor.

This happens quite often on older cars.

It also robs power from the ignition system, making it hard to start. ie, new plugs have improved it.

If you decide on getting a new starter, I would advise getting an up rated type at 140 amp.

Not quite as good as the high torque models but at least half the price.