I Must Have The Worst Luck In The World!

Guest bryan_andrews

Guest bryan_andrews

Well,

I have had my kit (Purchased part built) for 6 months now, got it stripped back to the chassis with just engine and rear axle fitted, and was going to start building the thing how i wanted once we had been on holiday, notice i say WAS going to start building, due to a serious accident on the last day of our holiday i'm not going to be able to complete the build :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

It looks like it's going to be at least another 6 months before i can walk resonably, and i will have a weak leg for the rest of my life, and will have to avoid most sports and any heavy lifting etc :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

So, it was all going so well, and now, well i think it's just gonna have to go. Enjoy your cars boys & girls and enjoy the build, because it's not until you are not able to carry on with one of these kits you realise how much you were enjoying it.

Stay safe & have fun

Bryan

Tough break. Sorry to hear your problem but all is not lost. May heal much better than you've been told and you can get back to the build or you can buy a built car when the time is right. So much depends on attitude of mind and staying positive is vital. Astound the doctors. (I used to be one and never had access to a crystal ball!)

Nigel

Bryan

I broke my leg ,and ankle on 27/12/2002 ,i was off work for 4 months,

back to work April 2003, I started building my 3a in July 2003 ,......(it was an unfinished project,which had to be started again from scratch!!!!!!)

My car was SVA'D April 2004.....one of the best days of my life!!

What I'm getting at ,is that times a great healer,do'nt do anything you

might regret, leave the project on the back burner,and you never know

in a few months ,your injuries may have healed,sufficiently to resume the

project.

And of course ,depending on where you live you maybe able to get

some help with the heavy stuff.!!!!!!!!

Best of luck.

Cheers Ian

:D :D :D :D :D

Guest bryan_andrews

Hi Guys,

Yeah, i must admit i will be very sorry to see it go if i do sell it, but i think it's going to be a while before i'm able to do anything to it. Broke both sides of my ankle, Both leg bones about 6 inches above the ankle breaks, metatarsawotsit in your foot, and wrecked the ligaments in my ankle and knee :boohoo:

I think a cooling off period is reqd before i fully decide but SWMBO has other ideas, my main priority at the moment is getting back to work, aint been since april :o

I remain positive about my recovery, but am under no illusions that it's going to be all sorted in the next few weeks.

Have fun people........................and for christ sake don't go bloody surfing.

Just say NO!!!!

Guest Petemate

Brian

I must endorse what Nigel says, things are not always as bad as they seem.

I have a badly deformed left ankle from a M/C accident years ago, this gives a bit of grief during changeable weather. I also had a full right hip replacement last year. My build is continuing well; there were days shortly before my hip op (joke there somewhere) when I was psychologically down, but you get through it somehow, and once recovered rarely look back. Not knowing the type/extent of your injuries, it is hard to speculate but keep going mate, I'm sure you'll get a lot of support from fellows and fellow Hoodies.

If you want to know haw a person's life can change - just talk to Mick Mellors, he has followed my own progress from the days when I was putting my tent up at the shows with my crutch. Now there's no holding me back.

Best of luck Bryan, keep smiling.

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest Petemate

Bryan

Just seen the further posts. Your injuries sound very much like mine on my left leg - went down the road on some deisel and the foot ended up against the kerb, 180 degree rotation - both bones broken a few inches above the ankle. I can still drive no prob, but a car with a heavy clutch can tire it after a while. All I have to do after being on it for a while (like standing around in the garage on the build ) is to rest it up on the settee for a bit to let the old fluids flow (you know what I mean Nigel)

As recommended, put it on the back burner for a while, but don't give up. My left leg healed enough for me to carry on Couriering on the bike after only 3 months. (fool)

All the best

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest Battery Bill

Bryan

Bad luck mate, but as others are saying get better in your own time :D Dont take what the doctors say as gospel.

When I was 26 I crashed my GPZ1100 into a car :

Broke my, Back, Neck, Sternum, Pelvis, Wrist, Collar bone, and 2 ribs. :boohoo: :boohoo: I was on a ventilator keeping me going for a while :boohoo: :boohoo:

I had intensive physio on my wrist/Hand which I could not believe would ever work again but they worked wonders.

I was in Hospital for Just 5 weeks then at my parents for only 4 and a half months then I went back to work on light duties :D :D

It was not long before i was back to nOOOrma :blink: :wacko: :gdit: Honestl

stick it there :D

Hi Bryan

Sorry to here about your accident.

I broke my left ankle in three places back in 1989 its now all held together with screws,plates and a bolt right through the ankle. :boohoo:

I didnt think life would be the same again and its not cant play sports to, and I had to give up motor bikes :boohoo: as I cant change gear (it would probably scare the life out of me now anyway) :o But you just get on with things and adapt ;)

So hang on to your hood till your up and about and it will give you some thing to work for. Got my S7 in 93 and been mucking about with kit cars ever since.

Keep your chin up all the best :D :D

Chris

I echo the comments of the other guys and the good wishes.

Just a thought - why can't a Hood be automatic? or would the brake still be too heavy? Would depend on more specifics of the injury and how you recover.

I have Erbs Palsy and as a consequence my entire left side is much weaker than it should be. Now fortunately ( :huh: ) this has been from birth so I've learned to live with it from the word go rather than having to re-learn things so it's been easier for me. I still almost took a disabled driving test and would have qualified for a motability car - damn fool said no I don't really need it so I'll not sponge off the taxpayer. Like Pete a heavy clutch can cause me problems so I very nearly built my 2B as an auto.

I think the auto-box is wider but the pedals would take up less room so the footwells could maybe be narrower. It's then just a matter of fitting it between the vertical tubes. The prop could be made if it's different. Not sure if the lower weight of the Hood would upset the gearchange or not - anyone know autos better than me (there must be lots of you coz I know **** all about them).

Iain

Guest captn Pugwash

Bryan,

Dont do it , keep the car, convert it to an automatic, I am looking into it for my Wife, for a kit car for her to drive.

She has 2 artificial hips, one leg is 2 inch shorter than the other, built up shoe, she drives faster than me, she sends this message, "keep the car and aim to drive it , dont give up."

The surgion told her 20 years ago, ther is nothing else he could do, after removing her hip joint in full and leaving her with nothing to support her leg at ALL, when you come crawling back to me on hand and knee, in the future, I will try to do something, but its in the distant future, :gdit: He then said to her across his desk, If you where a car, my dear, I would scrap you, at that moment he realised he had said something out of place, My hand was going for his throat across the desk, I won. :)

She now drives, she now can walk with only a stick if she is tired, otherwise she is great, even beat me up the escalator at atlanta airport when we were about to miss our flight to florida.

Keep the car and use it to focus your mind, if all else fails, then sell it later, as a final note, when we saw the surgion recently, he says that for leg surgury, bionics is already in use in the states, he suggested that to my wife next time she needs a hip replaceing, she will get a full fema and hip in one. 3 million dollar Bionic woman, :wub: top half is fine. :wub:

Dave

Guest mark kingston

I smashed my ankle into 4 pieces along time back in london then hobbled back to the car and drove home to the south coast before getting some one to run me to the hospital.

They operated and fitted a couple of metal plates and five screws and told me i would never get it back to full mobility...

i worked like hell at getting it mobile and with in a couple of years it was as good as new (mind it does ache some times in the winter)..

I think they may well tell you these things to give you the drive needed to overcome the pain ahead that you will experiance if you push your self hard to get back to normal..

hope it works out for you as well as it did for me

regards

mark kingston

:D