Hazard Switch

Guest piddy

Guest piddy

Hello All.

Has anyone changed there Hazard warning switch and move it to another position?

I want to remove my Sierra Hazard switch (it blocks the view of some lights) on the Capri dash I have fitted.

I have a Capri Hazard warning Switch that I can locate elsewhere but I'm not sure how difficult it will be to wire up. :unsure:

Any help please.

Piddy.

Hi Piddy,

I was going to do this, but very quickly realised it was going to be a nightmare (not before I'd chopped off the column switch connector though :unsure: )

Here's a reply from Nigel (Longboarder) when I asked the same question:

The following is the sierra layout in my 85 donor as far as I understand it.

Hazard switch numbers.

30 Red. Constant live. Feeds 49 direct and dash flasher light when hazard switch activated and through the dash warning light

to L & R flasher light circuits and 49A on flasher unit. (Acts as hazard supply.)

54 Black. Ignition live. Feeds 49 to flasher unit when ign on but disconnects when hazard switch operated. (Acts as flasher supply

when ign on.)

49 Black/Red. Ignition live. Live only when ignition on and Hazard not activated. Disconnects when hazard switch operated.

No earth.

Indicator switch numbers.

49A Black/White/Greenn From flasher. Intermittent supply into Hazard switch 49A to be distributed to R & L flasher light circuits and dash warning light.

(Acts to flash the lights.)

R Black/Green. Output to Right indicator lights.

L Black/White. Output to Left indicator lights.

No earth.

Flasher Unit

31 Brown. Constant earth. Connects flasher unit to earth. Doesn't go to the switch.

49 Black/Red. Live feed. From hazard switch 49

49A Black/White/Green. Output. To indicator switch 49A

The flasher unit is activated effectively by the output circuit being switched to earth through one or both of the indicator light circuits.

If you do decide to try this you need to leave the wires on the column switches H30 49A, R, & L connected. Wires 54 49 & a feed off H30 must be arranged so that 54 is connected to 49 without H30 when hazard switch off and H30 connected to 49 but 54 disconnected when hazard switch on. H30 must also connect to the bulb in the hazard switch constantly. Feeds off R, L, 49A must be arranged so that they all connect when the hazard switch is on and they also connect to the warning bulb in the switch on the other side to H30. They must all disconnect from each other and the bulb when the switch is off.

That mimicks the current column switches but there must be dozens of different hazard switch arrangements and I havent a clue what switch youve got. The hazard/indicator switching must be about the most complicated in the car. I wouldn't try to change it!

Good luck :rolleyes:

If I were Tony Blair I would at this point and suggest that my previous statment had been wrongly interpreted , taken out of context and perhaps could do with a little clarification. It did of course mean that I was fully supportive of Joels idea to fit a dashboard hazzard warning switch and I feel if you carefully reread my statement you will of course understand that the confusion may have arisen missinterpreting the no to mean no whereas of course it meant yes as I'm sure now becomes clear. Ho Hum.

There are aftermarket switches offered. Vehicle Wiring products do one for about £20. That suggests its not that hard a job. Presumably they supply instructions/circuit diagram with it. Can I unmake the mountain and turn it back into a molehill? I was trying to use the sierra circuit and it should be possible just to splice into the indicator circuits with a switch that disconnects them and resupplies and joins them. Sorry to have been so negative previously. Still wouldn't try it in a Hood where you can't get the scuttle off. Every time I change my wiring it requires me to be head first down one of the footwells with my 'see very close glasses' on and I'm sure one day I'm gonna burst something vital getting out again!

Try it. Worst that can happen is a £20 switch ends up in the spares box.

Nigel

Not at all. First paragraph was supposed to be waffle to cover my red face at doing a total U turn. The only change in context is that piddy will have a different number plate, possibly different coloured wings and nose and a few other minor details. No apology needed. It's me with the change of mind. :wacko:

Nigel