Super Spec Indicator Stalk

Guest deebee 55

Guest deebee 55

Hi can anyone help with this , im just approaching the end of building a super spec , and fitting the indicator stalk but i can't get the switch to power the head lights , all the individual circuits work , but when wired through the switch the head lights wont work , there are four spades used in the switch one is the power in the next is side lights third and fourth are dip and main , when the switch is turned to side lights they all work when switched to head the side lights stay on (as expected ) but no head lights , the switch is brand new , any clues ,

thanks

Hi Dave,

Are you using the Rover indicator/light switch that came with the Superspec kit?

If so this is how my switch was wired with 6 wires to the light switch connector (and another 3 to the indicator connector):

Pin 1 - 12v perm live from the 3-way connector

Pin 2 - to sidelights in 3-way connector

Pin 3 - to main beam blu/wh in 9-way connector

Pin 4 - 12v ignition switched from purple in 9-way connector

Pin 5 - to dip beam blu/red in 9-way connector

Pin 6 - joined to wire to pin 4 for 12v ign live

Pin 7 not used.

If I recall correctly you need 2 switched live feeds for the main and dip supply as well as the permanent live so the main beam can be flashed when lights are off.

But I can't remember how I numbered the pins in the switch. I think 1 was top left looking at back of switch and 5 top right.

Guest deebee 55

Thanks for taking the time to do all that Andy , i asked Alan about the switch and he was not sure where it came from suggested it was maybe a ford focus export ,

yes it was the one that came with the car ,

im just looking now at the SS wiring dia that came with the car and although there are 3 block used out of four top left is the indicator block , top right is the wipers bottom left under the indicators is the lights/horn block ,

in the lights /horn block there are seven spades , top left (1) red side lights

top right (2) 2x blue /white main beam

below (1( (3) brown ign live

below (3) (5) 2x blue/red dip

below (5) not used

below (2) (4) 2x purple horn

below (4) not used

so according to this dia only one live and only four spades used , i'm now sure you must be right about the other live , does that sound like its the same as yours

cheers dave

Dave,

The column stalks Al and I have are Rover not Ford Focus, but maybe export variations as they are wrong sided to normal Rover stalks.

As in my photo in this post http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=44674

Yes I have the same RH wiring diagram identifying the 4 switch blocks on the column stalks with only 3 used.

I've now re-ordered the pin numbers to same as the RH diagram and find that some of my wiring is swapped round from RH. But mine seems to work OK! Also I don't have the horn wired into my steering wheel. To correct my details above, this diagram is actually my wiring:

post-13848-0-28914900-1494450650_thumb.png

Guest deebee 55

Andy Thanks so much for your help , i now have this fixed , as i said before my diagram says 1 red , 2 bl/w 3 br , 4 purp , 5 bl/r , 6x7 not used ,

this is what i ended up with and everything working , 1 br (live) , 2 bl/w , 3 red , 4 purp (live) , 5 not used , 6 bl/r , 7 not used ,

hope this might help to add to your list of fixes .

Thanks again Dave

just the hazards to wire in now do you recall anyone on here posting a wiring diagram for a push type durlite hazard switch 048450 as i cant seem to find one .

Dave,

Try http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=11395

Also, if you haven't already got one, get a copy of the Car Builder Solutions catalog. It gives loads of different wiring diagrams for many different types of hazard switch. Might be a Durite one in there.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/cbs_catalogue.pdf

I converted to the ford focus stalks and column shroud. It fits nicely onto the steering column and also puts the indicator on the correct side

Dean, what did you do for a side/headlight switch, as those functions are part of the Rover indicator stalk?

I just wired in some drl headlights to make sure I had sidelights. Plus they look cool. The only thing I haven't wired in is the 'if' box to turn them off when headlights are on but mot and police have never even bothered. In fact a cop even liked them and the ingenuity of them

Guest deebee 55

thanks for your info , looked at the site but the switch i have has different numbers on it but thats not a problem as long as i have a starting point my switch is numbered 1-7 and the cbs is 15 30b 30 49 49a L / R

cheers dave