Flasher

Guest graham dockerill

Guest graham dockerill
:huh: My indicators do not cancell on their own so i,ve purchased a busser from Stafford Components. The query is where do I fit it in the system, at the warning light or at the column switch ?

:huh: My indicators do not cancell on their own so i,ve purchased a busser from Stafford Components. The query is where do I fit it in the system, at the warning light or at the column switch ?

I reckon you risk changing the indiciator flash speed if you fit a buzzer without a relay or transistor driving it. The flash rate is determined by the current drawn on the circuit. That's why, when a bulb fails, the indicators flash at twice the rate. If you just att the buzzer where the warning lamp is then you'll increase the current draw and slow down then flash rate. Instead I'd fit a relay - something small like a reed relay should do it. Not a normal automotive coil relay as this will still draw too much current.

Also, beware of fitting anything where the dash indicator lamp goes - In the sierra loom (with only one dash indicator lamp) the polarity across this bulb is reversed depending whether you're indicating left or right. This is fine for powering a relay, but not a buzzer as the voltage needs to be the right way around for most buzzers.

Hope that help.

Oh, and fix the self cancel - it makes it so much easier!

ant

I don't think the current taken by a buzzer will make any difference to the flash rate, it's only about 10mA (0.01A) compared to the 4A ish of the indicators, besides, when you use the hazards you are doubling the load and the flash rate is still the same.

I think the buzzer goes across the flasher relay so when it is open the buzzer has a voltage across it and it sounds, when it is closed there is no voltage and no sound. When the indicators are not in use there is no voltage anyway. My flasher warning lamp is only a single one so I would put it across that.

I used the ‘remote flasher’ method, when I leave my indicators on, other motorists flash there lights for me :D .

I fitted a buzzer from maplins because I tend to leave the R indicator on on motorways after overtaking. Totaly useless because I can't hear it over 50 mph and I feel like a right plonker driving round town at 5 mph with it going. It's coming off again and going in the bin.

Nigel

Guest MikeD318

Maybe you should wire something into the seat that gives you a mild electric shock when the indicators are on. :lol:

Actually, that gives me an idea, what about a rumble pack (like on a playstation controller) embedded in the seat that vibrates when the indicators are on? :D

Guest elgey7

Graham

I had mine between the warning bulb & earth.

Only do this if your buzzer is the piezo high impedance (resistance) type.

most modern ones are.

Anyway, I ditched it since you could not hear it on the motorway &

in the town it's too loud, everyone thinks your a truck reversing!

I need the discipline to ensure I turn it off.

If you can fix the steering cancel system all the better.

Colin

Guest salty_monk

I hardly ever forget to turn mine off as the repeaters are mounted on the swept wings in full view when I'm driving... find they act a bit like a "head up display".. :lol:

Actually though I think a couple of bright LED's in you face somewhere would be the best way forward, maybe right in front oy you on top of the dash, I think Bob Tucker has used LED's.

On the motorway I have always never engaged the indicators properly (not just on a hood I do it on all cars; basically I make the contact whilst pulling out & then they just cancel when I release pressure, I never fully "click" them over. Not sure this is too good for the switch contacts but it works for me..!

we wired a buzzer into ours, and although annoying at times it does do the trick quite often. the only trouble with lights on the dash is that in full sunshine, they can be hard to see - certainly a problem we had with ours before thr buzzer. still that buzzing does get to you if you sit at traffic lights with it droning on :gdit: