Engine Too High

Guest red7

I have changed my Cortina 2 litre Pinto block for a Sierra 2 litre Pinto and I have renewed the engine rubber mounts.

Now my oil filler cap sits 40 mm higher than before and my bonnet will not fit! :boohoo:

I have tried pushing the engine down the mount (I stood on top of the filler cap and jumped up and down) without any improvement.

Should I:

A/ Change back to the old rubber mounts?

B/ Bodge a sexxy Power Bulge in the bonnet to hide the problem?

C/ Drive without a bonnet (SVA compliant)?

D/ Modify the rocker cover and move the filler to the back?

E/ ?

Suggestions please,

Steve

Guest TerryBarry
sits 40 mm higher

Hey - Look on the bright side the ground clearance under the sump must have improved.

But seriously - are you using the same engine mounting arms as before ??

Ground clearence is important but a bonnet that fits would be nice!

Yes I have the same mounts fitted, but the old bushes where more compressed than the new ones.

Glad you got the clutch working ok Steve but 40mm sounds a vast amount, are the rubbers the same design as the ones that came off? If the old ones are ok I guess I would just fit them again, then possibly get hold of an old cam cover to modify during the winter. Were these real Ford mounts or pattern ones? It is part of the fun? of a kit car that you do one job and it creates two more, good luck.

Peter

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

Get the old ones back on and see what they are like! You only need to lift the engine a little to get the others orf :D

I think it would be a pretty large power bulge to fit in the extra 40mm :lol:

The engine mounts can't be the same, notwith 40mm difference, 5 mm yes, but not 40!!

Have you used the same casting type engine mounting brackets?

The engine is physically the same, the only difference is inside the thing, you've changed something that's upset the engine height.

Hi Steve

Im watching your post's with interest as Im in the middle of a 20L Sierra engine overhaul to replace the Cortina engine in my S7.

Just a suggestion have you put the O/S mount on the N/S and N/S mount on the O/S?

Hope you get it sorted out soon and I dont have the problems that you have had.

Chris

Thanks for the advice lads, I'll take the height difference again, just to be sure and work through the problem. We had a laugh test driving Red7 around the housing estate without a bonnet at 10 P.M. last night. Red7 has never sounded so good, not sure if the Feds or the neighbours would agree.

50 years young,

Steve

Hi Steve

just a thought .......

the brackets from the block that you have are angled slightly.

Have they been put back on the right way up?????

If you turn them upside down it should lower the height of the engine.

cheers

Chris

turn them upside down it should lower the height of the engine

you can't, they're pegged. but there are different ones, they look the same but are slightly different in height. Make sure that you use your original cast brackets, that they are locating on the pegs correctly. if the engine is still too high, then the mountings you have bought are incorrect. Uncle Henry has a way of changing things just to give us problems.

Guest neil gale

Steve,

another option might be to fit some hosing and an alternative filler cap that relieves the height problem???

I did this for my injection 2.0L but i had to because the injection filler cap is much larger and used to connect into the airbox.

A nice shiny K&N one looks a treat, coupled with some old cooling hose to angle it away from the engine.

Assuming you cant solve the mount problem that is, and might be cheaper and easier than a 'sexy' bonnet bulge!

Neil

Hi Jim

The mounts that Steve has are I believe from a cortina and are open brackets , not the standard solid sierra ones that are used in 2b's .

The mounts are just big blocks of rubber with no locating pins on them unlike the hydraulic items that are on sierras.

From looking at them it may be possible that they where put on upside down....

Its worth a shot.....

cheers

Chris

Hi Steve

Just been out in the garage playing about with my engine mounts (open type brachets) like Chris27 said, on my new engine block. you can get into a right old mess with them. :wacko:

Looking at the mounts on the engine in my car they are:

1/ face forward to the front of the car and down.

2/ were it bolts to the block the bracket should face to the rear of the car on both sides of the engine.

Mounting elbows inwards if you call them that!!!!!!.

Hope this can help you out a bit.

Chris