Where Have All The Girls Gone

Guest daveg

Guest mickmellors

I'll allow them in DROVES ! ! !

Especially the ones that are willing to stand a round (not around ! ) at the bar AND can manage to bring the beer back to the lads without assistance OR spillage !

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink !

Seriously though - the Club excludes no one, although we do have an over 18 rule (which I believe is a condition of insurance but I stand to be corrected).

Sue, wife of Tim Norman (Club Chairman) has written an article for the mag (due from printers any day now) from a ladies point of view. I know my wife and 8yr old twins would like to have a weekend at a show rather than me being away Fri to Sun without them.

Bring on the ladies ! ! ! !

Mick M

Guest daveg

All

I just don't understand why the girls don't build cars!

If I can do it with the worst backache ever, (so its not lack of strenght) why is it a male hobby?

I think its a shame... :huh:

Dave

Guest Andy Sparrow

Quite seriously though

I think you may have answered the question - 'where have all the girls gone....'

Looking at some of the replies, can anyone be surprised that the 'girls' feel put off !

Shame really that .....

A minority of girls do build cars but they dont feel 'some' clubs are going to welcome them as members - and those that do might not for the right reasons ....

So either we accept it as it is....

or work together to change 'perceptions' of what may be seen by some, as an outdated sexist 'lads club'

:o

A

I think it all depends on the woman.

Chris my wife help on most stages of building my Hood. Even doing some of the dirty cleaning of the engine.

She is reponsable for the dash, quite alot of the painting and all the fiddly nut's and bolt that i could'nt get to with hands like shovel's.

Without her encouragement i would probably still be building it.

As far as the club goes she as been welcomed by all and really enjoys the trip's and weekend's at the show's.

Some women don't mind getting dirty (steady Chris A) other's would rather go to the hairdressers and stay indoors watching Emmerdale than get involved with building the kit's

Saying that i did notice quite a lot of women driving kit cars into Stoneleigh last week, whether they built them or not is another matter.

I do know of a women that built and races F1 stockcars and was champion for a few years. She was quite pleased that she beat many male competiors. She aslo drives a Ford pop with a Chevvy V8 to alot of American car meet's

much to the suprise of bystanders when this little women steps out of a bloody great street rod.

Mitch

hello,

just thinking about the ladies not building cars...

firstly theres the big problem that its seen as a "male" thing. theres the idea that it isnt a ladylike thing to be doing in your spare time. although some of us might be spectacularly impressed if a woman you met told you one of her hobbies was building kit cars i suspect that the vast majority would find it a bit odd, and any woman taking part would be suspected of having a liking for dungarees, checked shirts and short spiky hair cuts :o

building things in general is a pretty male thing too, in the same way that primitive man built huts, to keep the family warm, being good with your hands is still seen a good thing for a bloke (!!!!) also similar to what Jim said about logic, us men (so i'm told) have a much better natural ability to imagine objects in 3D - vital for stuff like reverse parking, map reading or assembling kit cars. It sounds like especially good imagination is needed to make sense (or a car) out of the famous build video :p

finally men are better at working in isolation (i;m thinking here of the winter months hacking bits off donors or fiddling with the self centering) while women prefer team work and discussions. but i suppose this is a message board that supports and helps builders through team work and discussions, isnt it, so maybe there should be more women building after all?

swan :ph34r:

Guest Taffy Rob

Maybe its open season and they're all lying low? ;)

Seriously though, I would echo Mitch's sentiments, my missus has been lots of help, maybe not with the mechanicals but she makes a bl**dy good painter / coffee maker / moral crutch. Which is something I think most of us need when building a hood. And she has accompanied me to every show, including Stoneleigh which is the first time we met up with rhocar, and again she commented afterwards on how everyone had made her feel welcome (cheers guys - makes it a lot easier for me!).

Im looking forward to receiving the mag, as I am informed there is an article in it that looks at the whole kit car thing from a woman's point of view, hopefully this will get her even more interested - maybe we should have a Hood Widows area group???

Guest Chris.A.
Quite seriously though

I think you may have answered the question - 'where have all the girls gone....'

Looking at some of the replies, can anyone be surprised that the 'girls' feel put off !

Shame really that .....

A minority of girls do build cars but they dont feel 'some' clubs are going to welcome them as members - and those that do might not for the right reasons ....

So either we accept it as it is....

or work together to change 'perceptions' of what may be seen by some, as an outdated sexist 'lads club'

:o

A

:huh: flippin` eck , Andy! :huh: I recon the love of your life was looking over your shoulder when you wrote that , or, you are a solicitor by trade and have covered yourself from every angle to avoid littigation or a thick ear,or, you are NOT "Andy" at all but "Andrea" ???????getting your 5 penny worth in !

Having "pulled your leg",it is a very interesting subject and food for thought. :unsure: I could rant at length but won`t. :D Females are wonderful,all of them, I want to despirately, put as many in the club as possible! Here`s a little thought......women are incredibly competative, yeh? I know my Mrs. begrudges the attention and fuss I make over my Robin Hood,(as if she is competeing) ...when I showed her the photos I took at Newark last year, she became grumpy at the sight of all the attention a scantilly clad young lass got and, see, even the beauty queen was so chuffed we were looking at her Yokohahmas instead of SIDs !!!!

It doesn`t matter what sex you are (or even if you are not sure)

It doesn¬t matter what colour your skin is

It doesn`t matter what religion you prefer

and it doesn`t matter if you are a total twit,like me!

anyperson is welcome to join RHOCaR

their opinions,worries,and (just like their cars) individuality is shared,cherished and appreciated.

whilst having "FUN" and the micky taken ,of course

( sorry about that last bit....... The Mrs, just walked in the room :o )

Guest Tim Norman

Bobsbabe will be at Newark, but not be Miss Newark ;) , on the sunnier of the two days, complete with headache tablets for Bobsmate and a full set of kids!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bobsmate