East of England Meets for June

alanrichey

Now that Malvern has gone it's time to go local again.  And we need to make the most of this weather.   So we don't need a cafe/garden centre anymore, we can start having a picnic again.

While I was walking round Rutland Water yesterday I found some 'hidden' car parks that are well off the beaten track.   Not only are they quiet, at £3/day they are cheaper than the main ones (£4 for less than 2 hours).   And even better news is that the pay machines are broken so at the moment parking is free  (but bring 3 x £1 coins just in case they fix them over the weekend).

So let's go for 13:00 on Tuesday 13th for our first summer meet.  Don't forget to bring chairs and food/drink.  I'll provide the weather.

Here's the location, just take the South road at the Barnsdale crossroads, go past the Hotel, turn left at the bottom and follow the road to the car parks.  Unfortunately there are sleeping policeman on the road but they are relatively gentle.

Untitled.jpg.8c216b9acaf79431646cac18c839a1f1.jpg

Everyone welcome

Al

What a cracking day.   Perfect weather conditions.  A nice run to Rutland Water.   An empty (and free) car park and an ideal sitting (and picnic) area in the shade overlooking the water and watching the sheep and lambs.

It's a hard life 😀

Al

image.png.e0bb75bcaeb9239a7f6d479621155364.png

image.png.61d5da3715e5bf033704758de7321c5a.png

At Derek's suggestion we have decided to have a proper day out on Monday (19th) and visit the museum at Bletchley Park.   We have a couple of join-up points on our route from the north so some of us can arrive in formation.    If anyone else wants to join us let me know and I can give you the details.  We are aiming for a 10:30 arrival.

Al

It's working now, I just sent you a test message.

Please contact me directly.  I doubt any other member is interested in the problem.

Cheers

Al

Edited by alanrichey

A great day out today at Bletchley Park.    Weather was great, if maybe a bit warm.   A nice drive down,  about 165 round trip for most of us.  We arranged 2 rendevous points on the route to meet up and we hit them both bang on time so we all arived at Bletchley in formation.

Amazing place, much bigger then we expected, with the main mansion and lots of other buildings all with specific uses in the crypto decoding process.    Very interesting and we spent almost 4 hours looking around.   Highly recommended.

Thanks to Derek for the inspiration and organisation.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Still time left for another outing.   So our next one is a picnic at Tattershall in Eastern Lincolnshire, famous for it's castle (LN4 4LR).  We are going on Wednesday 28th, it will be a bit of a nostagia run for me as I lived there for 6 months in the late 70s.

We are aiming for about an hour run for each of us, meeting up at various places on the route between Grantham and Tatterhshall so we arrive together.   If anyone else would like to join us then contact me for directions/details.

Al

Another nice day out.  The joinup worked perfectly, plenty of room in the picnic area and the weather behaved itself overall, although 2 of us had a light sprinkle of rain when close to home.    The Typhoon aircraft flying out of RAF Coningsby were enjoying themselves, making conversation a bit difficult on occasions, but it was nice to hear.  I did a nostalgia run to my old house, which is still there and apparently untouched over the previous 50 years.

Picture copyright of Mo 😀

Tattershall.thumb.jpg.6192ab138f35eaad3a87bb5a858c578a.jpg

• Like 2