V5 Document Details

Guest PSKey28

Guest PSKey28

Hello,

Bit of advice, I've looked at a early robin hood 2b, according to the owner did not need an SVA, however the V5 says its a sierra convertabile. whats the state of play with this. Is this correct, if not how do you go about chaning it???

Thanks

Paul

Personally I would be sceptical. I did a Banham X21 before and had trouble with details like this and ended up with 'Metro convertible'. Not correct - made that mistake and to get it registered properly you may need SVA.

I'd walk away and buy another, or if the current owner will let you, speak to the DVLA about it to avoid trouble later.

When was it registered?

Your MOT inspector is properly required to refuse to test a car whose details are wrong on the V5 and insist on referring for SVA test. You would then be involved in a major rebuild. You could also be required to have a Vehicle Identity Check and have problems proving all the bits were not stolen. I'd walk away.

Nigel

You May get away with it, but in my experience MOT testers are getting tougher by the day, and would want to know what they were testing, they may give you a certificate for either a robin hood or a sierra convertible without asking for the V5 (I've never been asked for one yet, but mine is registered as a Robin Hood and that's what i call it for all purposes) but then what about re taxing it, and what do you call it for insurance purposes? And why didn't the last owner SVA it?Presumably he wasn't prepared to build it to the required standard!!! Pay peanuts and use it as a basis for a complete rebuild, or try to get away with it. Or walk away!!

Pete

Guest PSKey28

Hmmmmm, thanks for the advice, i thought there may be something fishy about it. Looks like I'll be walking away from this, one. As they say there plenty more fish in the sea.........

All 2B's need a SVA. Mine needed a SVA it was purchased in 1998 and it was one of the first batch. ask the owner why it doen't need a SVA I would be interested in the reason.

On the bright side you should be able to get it through the SVA test without to many problems.

Guest PSKey28

I'm now not convincde its a 2b, the fron suspension is very strange, its not like the sliding pillar version it has coil over shock mounted in the nose cone ?? and has a strange square box section about 6" x 6" on either side, this is where the flexible brake hose comes out ??

Any suggestions what it is ??

Sorry for the rough description.

PK

Look here to identify different front ends. If it is a pre SVA build you can still get problems as it was not correctly registered as a Robin Hood. There is no certainty of getting away with it even if you can prove its been a Robin Hood and on the road prior to SVA. It is currently incorrectly registered as a Sierra Convertible. If you try to change it to the correct description, DVLA may demand SVA and if you don't change it you could have problems in the future with MOT, Tax or insurance.

Nigel

I'm such a slow typer!

Edited by Longboarder

Guest Friar Tuck

Paul

For what it's worth, my advice would be to walk away from it, and look out for a properly registered one.

There have been a few very good ones for sale recently, I think a chap called Roger had his for sale on here last week.

Worth a try.

Good Luck

Friar Tuck

Guest PSKey28

I would say from the pictures its a mark1 with sierra front end, I'm taking all of yours advice and walking away. I'm going to take my chances of picking something up at the Exeter kit car show in November, you never know I might find a real bargin ???