Vin Number

Dave R

got one from dvla

does it need to be actually stamped on the chassis or can it be on a rivited plate ??

used to be on a plate on the donor but more recent cars seem be be better fixed ?

any opinions/experience?

Mine was stamped on plate and rivetted to chassis. Passed SVA although th examiner stated that it was good practice to have the number engraved on another part of the chassis for security reasons. I thought that reasonable.

Stamped on the top of the offside headlight bracket so it can't be seen with the bonnet closed. Also got a plate rivited above the battery shelf made from a bit of straightened 22mm copper pipe (easy to stamp) with model, date and vin number.

Robbie

post-9-1100025209.gif

Guest rattyrat

Stamp the chassis .Also a good idea to stamp it somewhere hidden so in the event of some lowlife trying to ring your little treasure, you have some chance of ID,ing it. Also, you must have a chassis plate with the VIN, 1st & 2nd axle weights, Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) & if your going to tow with it, the Gross Train Weight (GTW)

And I believe all letters should be a minimum of 3mm in height.

That's what I did, I stamped the number on an aluminium plate and riveted it to the car, I cleared an area of paint on the chassis and stamped the number on that as well then sprayed it with clear lacquer.

The letter that came with my chassis number said that it had to be stamped on a non-removeable part of the chassis or body and even specified the drivers side. It said it should also be stamped on a plate and affixed to the car. So I did both.

It said that it should be done by and authorised dealer and they had to sign and stamp a form stating that it had been done. I went to see the local MOT station chap to see if he was authorised to do it and he said he would but didn't have any stamps. I offered to bring minne down and he told me just to stamp the car and then bring it down and he'd have a look and sign and stamp the sheet. The VRO accepted it just fine.

I left the paint off the stamped number on the chassis until after SVA but have sprayed it since. You can read it if you know what you're looking for. I too hope that any pond-life who may be wanting to interfere with such things would miss it and just mess with the riveted plate which is really obvious under the bonnet.

Iain

Guest peter2b2002

I did the same as Guy, vin given to me by the dvla at Northampton stamped onto the chassis drivers side and a plate fixed to the front cross bar with the No. stamped onto it, (i used 6mm high stamps)

pete2b