Paint Job

Guest lardy-fatboy

Guest lardy-fatboy

I RECENTLY WENT TO LOOK AT A 2B THAT WAS FOR SALE (IM LOOKING FOR MY FIRST) IT WASNT THAT NICE AND BY NO MEANS IN EXELLENT CONDITION AS DESCRIBED IN THE ADD,BUT ONE THING CONCERNED ME,IT HAD BEEN SPRAYED ALL ONE COLOUR (WHICH I PREFER) NO STAINLESS IN SIGHT BUT THE PAINT AROUND THE EXHAUST BOX HAD FLAKED OFF DUE TO THE HEAT PRODUCED WITH DRIVING,THIS WORRIED ME SLIGHTLY,IS THIS A COMMON PROBLEM 'OR' JUST THAT THE EXHAUST WAS MOUNTED TO CLOSE TO THE BODY ???????

ANY HELP GUYS :(

I've seen a number of cars that are stainless sprayed over, and as I can remember, I've not seen the paint flaking on one, BUT, as Ianz says, you'd probably need to etch prime it first, but my instincts say "how can you do that, when the stainless has a thin protective coat on it?" so I'll reserve judgement on this one for now.

Jim

In the 3a build videos ,Richard mentions that if you wish to spray the panels

you will need to rub down the stainless with 320 grade wet n dry first, and apply

etch primer, this preperation obviously has'nt been carried out properly.

Cheers Ian

It was in the depths of time that I saw the video, and I'm afraid that I ejected it after watching 15 minutes of how to apply sikaflex into the gap between the rear wings and body.

But it obviously agrees that the *film* must be removed before any sort of painting is attempted.

Are you sure the stainless has a protective film on it? I thought the film Richard talks about on the video was the peal off white stuff. there's no protective film on mine as I can get continuity with my multimeter. Besides that, the stainless is a hard surface, why would you want to put a soft stretchable dirt absorbing layer over it?

Guest mickmellors

I TIG welded some bits of scrap together just to see how I got on with TIG and also observed the browning and bubbling effect. The scrap bits were out of the bin at RH and all I did was peel off the white plastic protective skin.

Guest lardy-fatboy

COULD IT BE A RESIDUE LEFT BEHIND ONCE THE WHITE PLASTIC PROTECTION IS REMOVED.IVE HAD THIS AT WORK WITH SHEETS OF ALLY !!!

JUST BUFF IT OF WITH A COTTON CLOTH AND WHITE SPIRITS AND IT SHOULD GO.

I CANT SEE THAT ANY RESPECTABLE SPRAYER WOULD PAINT A CAR AND NOT PREP IT CORRECTLY.WOULD THEY

:huh: