S 3a Spring Rates

Guest horncock

Guest horncock

Could someone please suggest some alternative spring rates for my S3, I am changing the standard issue zimmerframe coil-over's.

I was thinking about 140lb for fronts ( I have fitted tie bars) and 160lbs for the rear, although I have fitted shorter 8inch long springs to the rear already(although I don't know what the springs are they were hand me downs its still to harsh).

The setup needs to work on the bumpy roads of Norfolk and the occassional track day.

Kind regards

Richard Anderson.

Go with what you are thinking about. I have 170's on the rear, a bit hard for around town use, but great on M/way, or 2 up, or loaded with gear. it also depends on what size tyres (wheels) you've got, and pressure that you're running them at.

I have 185 x 60 x 14" and have found by much trial and error that 21 lbs is best for me.

The tyres actually act as a main part of the suspension on Hoods.

Guest horncock

what rates are you running on the rear, since fitting the tie bars to the front I found that it went from quite bad understeer to snap oversteer (on track days, I don't push it that hard on the Norfolk roads, due to the large tractors etc that are always around the corner). It seems that 130 for the fronts is a popular choice.