A Waist Of Money

Guest Guy

Guest salty_monk

Sorry, maybe an area of confusion there...... The Modern Rover 16V engines are just poo... there are many other very good 16v engines out there from other manufacturers... :D

(by the way - if I could afford it then a wishbone 2b with the XE lump in it & possibly the turbo would definitely be on the wish list...)

Well I've had a busy few days, I went to the scrap yard and bought another metro for £200 (P reg with 69K miles), it's been smacked in the back but I took the boot, bumper etc off the old metro before they took it away. I was out there with a sledge hammer yesterday trying to get the back of the car to meet the new boot :rolleyes: It run's fine and still has all the engine bits in the right place.

My wife suggested that I use the Granada V6 engine that's in my garage but I decided it was too much work! Mind you, it's built like a brick out house, 210K miles and not a knock to be heard, good compression too :rolleyes:

Guest Alasdair

The dad of a friend of mine had one of those Rover thingies and after his battery went flat and was subsequently recharged the car wouldn't start. It turned out that the engine management system required the battery to be permanently connected and had erased itself. It required an expensive visit to the garage to get it re-programmed.

only one question Why
:huh:
  • Cheap to run
  • Cheap to insure
  • Doesn't matter if someone smashes into you
  • You don't need a big fast car to commute

A few reasons :p

Dave

BUT... change the cam belt NOW :p

Edited by daveg

Those are the exact 4 reasons I wanted a small car, using the RH all the time means I can't work on it easely :lol: , I only got another one because it was cheep and I had all the bits to fix it!

I'm a bit worried about the ECU loosing it's memory though!

Guest TerryBarry

Guy,

One of my sons has a Rover 214 on an M plate.

The battery failed totally but when the new one was put in the only minor problem we had was resynchronising the alarm.

Guest gordon_macnab
:huh:
  • Cheap to run

• Cheap to insure

• Doesn't matter if someone smashes into you

• You don't need a big fast car to commute

A few reasons  :p

Dave

BUT... change the cam belt NOW :p

Yes agree with all of that BUT why a Metro!!!

They must be one of the worst small cars available for the money (or any money), I wouldn't say there would be any good points, just the last of the BL crap, although it's badged a Rover (which isn't anything to boast about from my experience) it's all BL really.

But then each to their own if your happy who cares

Guest Alasdair
the only minor problem we had was resynchronising the alarm.
Oh well, I may have got it wrong, come to think of it now I seem to remember that it DID run but very badly, does that sound plausible?

saying that i have had 3 k 16 valve engined cars

i have hammered the living hell out of them, serviced them myself and havent had any failures yet!

(fingers crossed) :ph34r:

The smaller capacities are generally better on head gaskets as they're dry liners. As the capacity gets to 1.6 they're 'semi-dry liners' (christened damp liners) and finally at 1.8 they're wet liners. Wet liners are harder on head-gaskets. Supposedly the gaskets have been modified to prevent the oil and waterways from being compromised. The head-bolts are still a bad idea being so long as they tend to twist rather than torque properly. On race engines they apparently remove the threads from the block and use nuts on the bottom of longer bolts (less tendancy for the bolts to twist whilst tightening).

Having said that power-to-weight wise they are very good. Ford only cought up when the Zetec first appeared in the Puma but all in it's a better engine.

Iain