Audio?

Guest stu205

might be a stupid question but has anyone fitted audio to there hood? (set of twin carbs dosent count!!) obviously would be a bit pointless at 70mph maybe mp3 player and headphones is the way to go????

Guest docter fox

iv got an mp3cd head unit waiting to go in, along with some speakers that im going to build into a wall behind the 2 seats.

although it probably wont be much good going along the motorway, itl be good for around town or in traffic jams

having said that i think i may wire 2 of the outputs into headphones so that i could listen to it on the motorway aswell but dont have any idea how to......

Guest salty_monk

You could just wire the speaker wires in directly into the headphones but I'd be inclined to wire them into a dual Stereo 3.5mm phono plug & then you can plug in what headphones you like..

You will have to be really careful not to blow the headphones though, keep the volume down or use the fader. Should work I think...

Guest docter fox

yeh i think id prefer them in stereo but dont know how id do it...

salty, u wernt one of those boy racers going around with a constant boom, boom, boom where you? or trying to be should i say? :p

Guest lardy-fatboy

i have a cd player in mine, speakers behind the seats works fine with the hood up and at speed.you have to turn it up a bit when your topless but remember to turn it down when you pull up at the shops as people look at you like your a tw*t.

when your out for an staedy drive a bit of music is calming i find B)

duncan

Guest peter2b2002

I fitted 150w speekers behind the seats work ok if i have the hood up & side screens on but over 30mph u can hardley hear anything above the exhaust and wind (not me ) ;)

Pete2b

Guest Mike Perry

Many Mazda MX5's have speakers in the headrests. Like in my wife's car. They are not terribly effective.

They seem to be too small and don't put out enough sound even on the MX5, which has got to be quieter than a 'Hood'.

They can be up graded but I don't know how good they are; might give it a try one day.

cheers guys think ill go for it with speakers and have a jack maybe in the trans tunnel?? for headphone plug just wanted to make sure i wasnt the only one with a head unit in a hood i can add it to the loom before i put it in at weekend

You definitely want to put a resistor in line if you're taking a feed from the speaker output. Otherwise you are going to zap your headphones real quick.

Dunno what size to suggest though :(

Does your head unit have a line out? That would be the best way, as the levels are roughly correct for headphones. You would need to be able to disconnect the main speakers (if any are fitted) with a switch.

i'd highly reccomend not connecting the main speaker outputs to headphones!

My high end sennheisser headphones are a measly 0.2Watt, so connecting them to a source capable of producing 40Watts could be disasterous! (that said, thier resistance will be higher, but i still wouldn't like to try it).

ill have to work out the resistance i think or could allways do it the easy way and go wire free but then the headphones are bigger and you cant get a lid on over them