Thick Cable

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

got a twin axle car trailer this weekend (£250 - well chuffed!) but could perhaps do with some new cable for the winch.

B&Q, focus n a few caravan places weve been to only have the 3.4 mm stuff which says 155kg, , halfords and motorcount dont have any. so where do you get steel cable thats nearer to 10 mm? :D or at least over 5? :rolleyes:

Thanks all

Guest allbejay

i used to work for lantern recovery, well worldwide recovery systems. both the same thing, can get some prices as my sisters still in the office, how long do u need it and at what strength

Try to find a yacht chandlers for high quality, flexible wire.

Also dont go overboard (gettit?) on strength.

Youre only pulling the car up a ramp, not hoisting it vertically.

The extra diameter will fill the winch spool up to the lip,

effectively reducing the gearing on the handle/motor.

When I was into boating we used webbing material (like a seat belt) very effectively.

Bob.

Guest mickmellors

In full agreement with Bobs advice I would also urge that you also make sure you dont under spec either.

2 years or so ago a mate of mines Dad replaced the 1 ton line on his mud-plugging Land Rover winch with 1/2 tonne in order to increase the length he could get on the drum. He had to pull himself out of a bog, the line snapped and flew back towards him, smashing the windscreen and showering him with glass particles. He was very luck not to have injured or blinded himself or others helping to push. Jims comment about accidents and claims is so true.

I think towsure.co.uk might have what you want.

Good luck

Guest Charles B

As Jim and Mick says, be careful on the spec. I would also steer clear of stainless cable as used for marine use. It might look good, but when it breaks, it gives no warning like standard cable, which tends to fray first.

Guest allbejay

There right u know safety is a main concern in all this but i can still get it sorted and lantern recovery should be a good enough supplier for you, not a problem getting it just that they do it in thickness, what roughly were u looking for, it's usually 23-30 mtrs long but hopefully there have a smaller length availible for ya. i'll double check on the breaking strain too before i let u know on it