Steering Lock

Guest Simon M

Guest Simon M

Has anyone had any problems with the Mountney boss adapter?

It appears the recesses in my boss are very shallow allowing the peg for the lock to skate over them, causing it to click but not to lock.

I'm wondering whether I've been supplied with the right one!

My SVA test is fast approaching & this is something they'll be looking at.

Any comments?

Simon

Guest Angel Boy

Might be obvious but worth checking:

Is the peg on the steering shaft wider then the gaps in the boss? If it is it might be worth reducing in size to see if it helps.

Andy

Guest TerryBarry

I had some problems with the supplied boss / adaptor

Mine would not go onto the shaft far enough - I had to ease the hexagonal sector of the boss to allow it to sit down far enough and get enough of the thread showing through the nyloc nut on the end of the column - especially compared with the Sierra's wheel.

Once I 'd done this - when checking out the steering lock it seems to function well.

Another RHE supplied component that seems to be out of specification ( are they all bl**dy rejects) :(

Compared to the Sierra wheel the slots on my adaptor were wide enough to drive a bus up - like there are half as many - no problem getting the peg to sit in these

Cheers,

Terry

I had a few problems with the boss, mainly getting the horn to work properly. It would work with the wheel pointing straight ahead, but turn left or right and no horn. I think I had to shave a few mm off the plastic block that fits between the boss and the splined part of the shaft.

I also have the clicking thing. It clicks 3 or 4 times then locks. I can't offer a solution, but at least you know it's not just your boss.

Simon,

Have you got a padded cover for the wheel? It will fail on the internal projections test otherwise...

Also, One of my friends who is building a 2B DOHC "Lux" - ha ha - had trouble with his Mountney wheel. It didn't fit the steering shaft properly (too tight and would not go on properly) and he ended up filing it to fit the (is it haxagonal?) shaft end. Took him ages, and he moans about it on his build site (rightly so!)

Mountney wheels are not the best quality - you really do get what you pay for. I remember having all sorts of problems in the past fitting them to various cars I owned. Then one day I bought a Moto-Lita wheel for an Austin Healey Sprite I used to own. What a beautiful piece of kit! Fitted perfectly and even had the correct hole for the horn pencil (that is a plastic tube with a spring loaded contact inside it that goes between the horn button and contact ring) - something the Mountney boss didn't have. The only thing was, it cost over £120.

Regards

JonB

Guest TerryBarry

Thanks for that Jon.

I thought that I was the only one who spent ages with a small file and a Magic Marker making that ruddy thing fit.

I did note that Ant put his 2B through Derby SVA without comment on the un-padded Mountney wheel.

Terry

It wasn't "without comment". He said it was ok, despite looking like something off a go-kart! I asked if he wanted me to cover it and he said no, but said that the screw heads were "an issue". He didn't write it on the list, but I'm swapping the screws for M5 button heads - mainly because they look nicer, but they are smoother too.

On the horn front, I bodged it up and managed to throw away the contact rings before I knew I needed them. I don't like the plasticy feel of the horn push so I'm ignoring it. Instead there's a big red button on the dash which is more in-keeping with the sounds it produces ;-)

Ant

Guest neil gale

Terry, Jon

Mine went through sva last week with no comment on the mountney wheel, seems the sva test is somewhat variable between counties!!!

I did have some silicone on the screw heads, but he never even mentioned it once. He struggled to drive it with the small wheel so i guess he realised with the sierra wheel he would have zero chance.

My steering lock is unoperational, i dunno if its fixable or not, and i had to put a spacer behind the horn contacts to ensure the horn woks when the wheel is at any angle, but then my sva examiner never checked the horn!!!!

(he may have heard us pratting about with it in the waiting lane, and decided it worked - those air horns carry a long way!)

Neil.

Guest Angel Boy

Horn check is part of the MOT. If the current thinking is correct and the SVA checks build quality and the MOT checks the day to day operations then this would fit.

They didn't check my horn either at the SVA, but the MOT tester did.

Andy

Guest Simon M

Hi Guys

I didn't have any problem fitting the boss/wheel & the horn works fine.

Andy: No, the gaps in the boss are much wider than the original Sierra. It's that the depth of the gaps is only about 2 or 3mm so the peg can easily jump out of the recesses.

I can see myself filing out each recess a little deeper & squarer

John: Yes I've got a pad for the Mountney wheel, so hopefully that'l be OK with SVA Man

Think I might speak to RHE about it!!

Thanks Simon

Guest TerryBarry

Oh Boy !!

So I've got some more time to spend with a file on this dumb device.

Thanks for the tip

What I really loved with my boss were the two supplied corrugated cardboard washers - if required ?? - for what I might ask !!

Terry

Guest Fred2b

I had the same problem with the boss not fitting right and ended up fileing and using my niffty Dremel thingy to get it to fit.

I believe that the steering lock is not an absolute must for the SVA test but there must be some kind of anti theft system.

Regards

Fred

Guest Paul Gretton

My wheel is just the same as everyone else describes, ie steering lock US.

I bought a Toad Thatcham 2 immobiliser still in box with all instuctions and stamped installation certificate for £20. Will this satisfy the SVA security requirements?

Guest Simon M

I've managed to get my lock operating by filing the recesses slightly deeper & with squarer corners.

Another couple of hours that shouldn't have been necessary!

Simon