2b Rear Suspension

Guest tom2b

Guest tom2b

Hi im new to this site, i have recently bought a 90% complete 2b with the wishbone suspension on the front. The rear looks like sierra setup with a seperate damper and a spring positioned under the rollbar. This is set up far too low and the rear spring feels too bouncy, when there are two people sat in the car it very nearly grinds out! how do i reset the rear suspension???

thanks

tom

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Tom,

Theres normally a bolt which goes right through the roll bar & the

upside down Mc Pherson strut leg. Just remove it, drill a hole with the suspension set higher & replace the bolt.

Try posting a picture of your setup if it doesnt look like that.

Cheers, Bob.

Guest tom2b

Thanks Bob, yes that is the setup, trouble is i can only get another couple cm by doing that, unless someone cut the strut too short?? i may need to source a longer strut or extend it. What springs do you recommend as mine are far too bouncy.

Reagards

Tom

Guest Tim Norman

Your best bet is to get some more struts. Cut the end plate off and then remove the ppiston and fluid then grind the lug off. What you are left with is the chrome rod and the spring already with preload. It also has the effect of sitting te spring 3" higher and you can bolt the whole lot to the traling arm. I am getting a camera soon so i will post a few piccies. Any the questions like how do i join the club just give me a ring.

HTH

Couple more things to check....

The spring for the rear of the 2B must be the rear Sierra spring..the previous builder may have fitted the front spring from the McP strut....RHE's video instructions on this are not clear.

Sourcing & stripping another strut is probably a good idea anyway, cut it as long as possible. The builder may also have cut the rollbar short, mines all boxed in so I cant measure it.....can anyone else help with measurements?

If the current setup is bouncy, ie lean on it & it keeps going up & down, its the shocker which is shot, not necessarlily the spring.

Keep at it....it's well worth it!!

Bob.

Guest timswait

I've heard of people using the rear springs from a Sierra Estate as these are harder. Personally I find the ride from Sierra Saloon springs pretty much spot on, so if it's too soft for you it's most likely there's something wrong (eg using the wrong springs). I agree with Bob, if the car carries on bouncing it's the damper, not the spring which is the problem. It sounds like you need to get another Sierra front strut to cut down to get the ride height raised, the alternative is to fit coil overs instead.

Also check where it is grinding out. On mine it was where the rear subframe bolts on. RHE recommend using large cup washers from the front strut to do this. If you replace these with flat washers instead it will free up an extra inch or inch and half of ground clearance, although from what you've said it sounds like this won't be enough on it's own.

Guest Tim Norman

I'm using the front springs from the McPherson strut. They support a much heavier car and an engine on the sierra so a hood should be no problem. You just need to keep the strut together like my earlier post.

Guest tom2b

thank you for the help i will look in to it and see what i can get sorted, the dampers look brand new so i wouldnt imagine they are dead already! i like the idea of fitting coilovers but i need some money left for sva etc. I think a visit to the scrappy is in order this weekend. I live in Cornwall, are there maany other members down this way?

Guest daveg

Tom

following on from what Tim just said, there are different struts fitted to different models so you might have to find the right diameter.

The reason for location is so you get offers of free help (for the cost of a brew :lol:

RH changed the instructions early on to say not to cut the roll bar and keep the strut piece long...

Good luck,

Dave

PS where is the battery fitted :lol: :D :p

Guest tom2b

Id love some help if anyones near me, as many brews as they need! The battery is fitted on the passenger side infront of the dash. The logbook shows the donor car as a 1988 f reg sierra 2litre GL. I bought the car 90% complete so im having a job to work out what the last person has done exactly. Everything looks like its to a high standard so im suprised the back suspension is like this. The back end isnt badly bouncy but if i stand on the spare wheel bar it nearly touches the ground! Do many of you use msn to chat about cars?

Guest Battery Bill

Dave "Q"

PS where is the battery fitted

Stop it! you know it upsets some people :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

seperate damper and a spring positioned under the rollbar.

Sounds like a coilover set up and the previous builder has cut some of the tube off ! We like many others did not cut anything off ours so perhaps thats the problem.

Surely an extension piece from the Tube at the end of the rollbar would be the easiest option. I bet some local engineering company could knock something up pretty cheaply.

:D

Bill and Joey