Radius's And Nut's

Jon Green

Hi All,

I have two questions prior to my SVA:

1. does the sierra front wheel hubs require grinding near the track rod end fixing to give the required radius?

2. I have a 2B with wishbones and on the upper front wishbone mounting to the chassis we had to position an "L" shaped bracket to take the front end of the bolt. The "L" piece is fixed to the chassis with a single bolt pushed through from the underside, but unfortunately there isn't enough room for the bolt to fit on the other side without modification (grinding). So on the other end I have a very slightly ground plain nut. I know that the SVA man will not be very happy with this not being a lock nut so what do I do? A lock nut just wont fit! My only thought is to tack weld the nut to the bolt thread.

Im sure that i couldn't be the only one who has experienced this as the holes are drilled in the factory!

Any help much appreciated!!

Thanks, Jon

Hi Jon,

The hub is inside the line of the wheel, this area is exempt from SVA radiuses. They will however check for locking of the nuts, could you fit a lock washer instead? What would happen if this bolt came out when you were driving?

Another idea would be to drill a hole through both nut and thread and fit a split pin.

Guest Nick B.

Hi Jon,

I had exactly the same problem. It was a bit tight but I did manage to get a nut onto the thread of the bolt. It was quite a narrow non-nyloc nut. I have since managed to tighten them up by jamming a screwdriver in between the nut and chassis and using a socket on the bolt head. I have also drilled holes in the bolt and fitted split pins.

I think it took me about 3 nights in the garage to get to that stage.

Cheers

Nick.

Guest peter2b2002

Hi , I had the same problem, by grinding one side of the nylock nut down a bit I managed to get it on, make shure you don't melt the nylon locking bit and all should be ok, my SVA man didn't even notice it even though he spent a long time looking in that area.

pete2b