My Legs Are Hot

Guest Rob Walters

Guest Rob Walters

I have been bombing around in my hood today in the lovely hot weather, the only down side was the due to the amount of heat I was getting from the engine and it was making it uncomfortabe to drive in shorts my ancles got particularly hot.

Has any one had similar problems or got a solution ?

thanks

Rob

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rob Walters

any idea what is the best thing to block up the holes ? the bonnet has got vents in the top of it, I have seen some car with vents in the side, do these work well and if they do where can I get some ?

I tried the my ankle on the exhaust when I was putting the side screens in the boot area.

thanks

Rob

The extra vents that we put into the sides of the bonnets help a great deal in removing hot air from under the bonnet (makes the engine run better) they can be bought frm a decent 'ships chandler'

Block the holes up anyway you see fit, plate over big ones, some people have used expanding foam on mid-sized ones (must be bloody awfull to clean up or shape, i don't recommend it) But that's what you have to do, stop the heat coming through.

Congrats on the leg burn, the mark of a true Hoodie!

Here's a link to one of those ships chandlers that Jim suggested:

Marine Store

edit: the site's quite long-winded to navigate, so if you want to go straight to the vents, select 'General Chandlery' from the left hand menu on the start page, then 'Ventilators' from the following page. There's about 11 pages of vents to choose from.

OK

I'll own up too...

I just replaced the noisy RHE exhaust with a quiet baffled one made in real stainless.

It looked so good I left off my patented Woolies Washing Basket.

Then I went to Sainsburys wearing shorts, posed a bit,

stuck my leg on the new silencer, hopped about a bit,

spent an hour in casualty last night, then fitted the Woolies Washing Basket back on today

partly to cover up the burnt skin left on it.

Say after me....baffled silencers get MUCH hotter than absorption boxes

Bob

Guest Chris.A.

I too have been driving around in shorts. BEWARE! :o :o :o the wind blows the legs up and you get sun/wind burn not only on your knees!! The Mrs. has been rubbing aftersun in all weekend :( :( :( but that only makes the swelling worse!! :huh:

Guest Phil Slater

Chaps

V interested in lowering the under bonnet temperatures. Just a question to those who have already fitted the extra vents.

Are these vents SVA friendly or should I be looking to fit them after I get my car on the road?

Phil Slater

Guest Rob Walters

sound like I got off really lightly on the exhaust burn , Jim I like your idea of moving the exhaust to the other side........let the passenger get burnt. For the good of Hoodies every where I'll have to do some reseach with the girl friend on the effects of after sun causing swelling, in the interest of science of course!!!

Phil here is the link to the vents I saw http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchan...duct_Code=13357

Guest TerryBarry

Phil,

I've got a feeling that those vents might be a problem for SVA

The edge of the each louvre is not radiused - just pressed out of the S/S sheet.

I'm going to fit them when it's through the test - well that's the theory

Terry

Guest nickinguk

its best to fit the vents after the sva test unless you want to spoil them with lots of edge trim and tadpole beeding.

the other way to try reduce the cockpit and under bonnet temp. is to wrap the exhaust especially if you are using a four branch and also use some heat reflection material around the firewall, you can usually pic these items up cheaper at one of the shows than in the shops.

Guest Mr Pid

I sympathise with your unfortunate bad luck, i too seem to have all manner of accidents whilst building my hood. I have a nice burn on my head after scratching it with a piece of angle which i forgot would be red hot after cutting it!! :angry:

However knowing how my luck usually turns out i got the nice chap who made my exhaust to incorporate a heat sheild in it. It looks like the ones that the dax cosworth use (strap on cannon) and never gets hot, and sounds amazin!Although it did cost the best part of £500 :(

Oh well

Stu :blink: