Kit Car Magazine

Guest joni

Why is there never any articles on robin hoods in kit car magazine? I haven't bought it for a while because I never saw anything in there relevant to my car. They had some advertorial features from rbin hood but never seem to feature the cars??

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jaffer

Joni,

I understand this is because RHSC/RHE are reluctant to allow anything in the magazines. I don't think they have ever allowed the mag's to do any tests on the cars and editorials etc.... :rolleyes: there was a letter about this in one of the mag's a few months ago asking the same question.

Its a shame because it would be interesting to see how the 'experts' ;) compare the Hood's with other similar cars :p ... still, we will have to wait and see what the new owners have planned.... they will have editorials done to 'relaunch' the company for sure!

Jaff

Guest piddy

I have three old magazines all with articles about Robin hoods in them.

Kit Car August 1999 2B or not 2B

A write up about the 2B when it was launced.

Which kit May 2000 again titled 2B or Not 2B

Paul Lawthers very nice purple car in Which kit. and Paul Hands yellow exmo.

I also remember a write up about a car built at Wayland prison,now owned by Graham Rudge.

And I'm sure I've seen others.

Add to the list if you can

I understand this is because RHSC/RHE are reluctant to allow anything in the magazines.

I'm going to throw a spanner in here.

<begin rant>

I suspect the reason this isn't allowed is because the design of the Robin Hood kit is compromised. Many things are supplied that don't fit without a serious load of fettling and some items are so cheap and nasty that they might as well not be in there (for example, those appalling sealed beam units, or the Zeemeride suspension units). Others are supposed to be SVA compliant but it seems they can't be made to pass without some kind of modification (classic example : the Mountney steering wheel).

Why am I saying all this? Because I'm fed up with it. And if a magazine was going to do a proper and dispassionate comparative test between a 2B and some other (perhaps more expensive) car, I reckon there'd be fewer buyers for the 2B.

<end rant>

Sorry guys, I know I'm a club official but I also have a personal viewpoint, which is what I've expressed.

Guest jetskijase

Jon With you all the way on this one, some very good and valid point's there.

RH have the best club scene, and is the best for developing lot's of skills while building, and it's cheap, BUT... cheap at a cost

If RH did make it into a mag it would be imbarassing for RH , if they stuck to the truth that is.

Jase

Guest docter fox

imo the fact that there is so many great hoods out there is down mostly to the owners, and if they did the report on one of the completed ones then im sure they would be very impressed

ps piddy, any chance of a scanned in picture or photocopy of the articles?

Guest chris brown
Many things are supplied that don't fit without a serious load of fettling
What do you expect for the price???
for example, those appalling sealed beam units, or the Zeemeride suspension units
Both are SVA compliant and people have used then for many miles with no problems.

I agree the quality is not good. But go out and try to buy all the items that ars in the kit and even with uncut sheets of stainless and a chassis in very long lengths of tube it would cost you as much if not more than the £1850 that I paid if you want a kit that just slots together then go for Dax or similar (still hard to get through SVA) and pay the extra.

Sorry guys just the way I see it

Guest TerryBarry

I think there is a problem with building a kit car - whatever the manufacturer.

That is most of us only build the one and therefore my 2B is the first and only one I've built. So I've got no real yardstick for comparison.

I'm not saying my kit is the greatest - it isn't - what really gets me are all those bits that could have been made better with a little thought and for no real extra cost to RHE.

One of my pet gripes are the infill panels around the front wishbone mountings; four cut outs for the wishbone square sections - not one of them the correct size or position

The mounting brackets for the cycle wings have been modified - a possible improvement BUT the multi-bend tube has not been modified- more cutting, welding and thought needed.

I could go on (and on and on and on and on) but I won't

It's a good job we don't have a cat - otherwise the RSPCA would be after me for giving it a good kicking it every time I return from the garage :wacko:

Before anyone jumps in, as long as this thread stays calm then I have no problem. I never built this site as as tribute to RH or anything, purely as a aid for RH builder to have funand use each others knowledge, the RH kits I've had are FAR from perfect! Thank god I got you lot to ask!!

Guest micky bigthumbs

I havent built my car.....repaired replaced modified kicked and broke it ..you guys that built them , ive seen part built and ongoing builds .....reading the posts does anyone have a good word for RH, Nigel Duncan built his kit , collect to on the road sva'd in less than 4 months , was his the only kit built right on the factory jigs

Mick

Guest bloke

surely, finding solutions to the problems is where some of the enjoyment is...? every car has got its own problems and we all find our solutions to them with advice and chat on here

even now i think thanks to rhe for bringing this experience close enough to be 'affordable' and an even bigger thanks to everyone here for your help...

I managed to get my car on the road prior to the start of SVA, all it needed was an MOT and a quick inspection at the local VLO. I did manage it in less than 4 months but I spent just about every evening and weekend working on it, I also had a great deal of help from the wife who was very eager to do her bit. It makes a big difference having the other half on side. The kit itself was by no means an easy bolt together job, a lot of engineering was require to get things to fit and line up correctly. I think that you get what you pay for, you do get a very comprehensive kit but quality was lacking.

I have never regreted buying a Hood and it has given enormous pleasure over the past 8 years.

Guest rizla

after seeing paul mercers car on display at the detling show,i was very impressed with the rh kit,ive seen many a kit car from many manufacturers,and yes the rh is a challenge im sure,but so are others in their own right

as with many things in life you get out what you put in,paul obviosly put a extreeme amount into his, and it shows

ive owned a s7 and tinkered with it prior to the saga that happened,i would say as others have the kit does not have all the top shelf stuff in it but its not top shelf money,but it does give you the opotunity for artistic flair