Super Spec Pass At Nottingham

mellors55

What a great feeling!

My Super Spec has passed first time at Nottingham.

It would not have happened without the help of posts on this forum and in particular Neal (Friar)for loads of advice, Derek Overfield for loan of steering wheel cover and Dredd for info about the replacement speedo drive gear (tested a consistant 2 MPH over with 3.9 diff)

The tester was very understanding and the only things that bothered him were the bare positive battery post (non fail item) - I wrapped it in tape.

He was a bit concerned with the tightish bend on the rear blake flexies that go to the rear calipers. I agreed and will change them for aeroquips later.

My Non turbo car weighed in at 790 kilos (screen fitted) and the exhaust test was 91db.

My headlight switch stopped working half way through the test but he had already seen them working OK so he was happy.

I think I will need to fit relays for the main and dip headlights - has everyone else done this? None are shown on the wiring diagram and none were supplied for this purpose. I will be phoning Richard on Monday!!

Also - Has anyone rewired the tacho as per recent newsletter- does it work now?

John

Guest Wick12

Hi John I am so glad to here you passed the SVA first time, congratulations.

The tacho on my super spec works ok as per new wiring.

I wonder if you could help me as I am about to book my super spec in for SVA.

How long did you have to wait for appointment ?

Did you need to fit covers for top off seat belt anchors?

Did you have windscreen fitted?

Did you drive to SVA or take on trailer?

Regards Martin

Guest Tony Tank

Well done John

Maybe you can give our Bugsy up here in the Northwest :p tips on how to get it SVA 'd

Hope to see you at one of the shows .

Tank ;)

Guest bugsy
Maybe you can give our Bugsy up here in the Northwest  tips on how to get it SVA 'd

Hey i heard that! :lol: :lol:

Congratulations on your pass Martin must be a fantastic feeling, just in time for the SUMMER B)

Hope to be joining you soon,

Well done again, Top Job !!!

Lets see some pic's of it then!

I am at Stoneleigh next weekend, (not in the hood) but it is nearly ready for its next test, Hey i waited 30 years for a Hood so who is rushing :p

Bugsy

Guest Dredd

Fantastic news. I haven't wired the tach yet, can't find the time to take the car off the road! You'll find the car tight at first, but after 1500 miles you will feel it loosen and get quicker. I fitted relays as the wires RHSC supplied in the loom looked too small to take main beam current. I'm at Stoneleigh next Sunday hopefully see you then?

Martin

To answer your questions.

I booked my SVA about a month ago because I was going on holiday. I decided to pay extra and take it on a Saturday (£225) and I could therefore more or less pick when I wanted to take it.

The seat belt top mounts only had nut covers on bolt heads ( the tester at Nottingham said he was happy with this because the brackets can rotate out of the way if impacted. He did say that some testers failed cars without full plastic covers (get them secondhand off a scrapper) I already knew that he took this view because I visited the centre a few weeks ago and viewed another RH being tested by the same bloke (again thanks to Derek Overfield for letting me see his car being tested)- I would recommend everyone to do this before SVA - it saved me loads of time doing things that didn't need doing and money - a retest fee.

I did fit the windscreen but I had modified the sweep of the wipers. I am not sure he was too bothered about this. He thought that the heaters worked well???

I only had a short drive to the test station (10 miles) but I might have hired a trailer if the weather forecast had been bad.

Hope that helps - contact me again if you have any more questions.

John

Guest Wrighty

Great News!

Another superspec on the road for the collection.

I took Will`s advice and relayed up the headlights and main beam too, works a treat.

So now you have passed you could hop up the A38 and inspire me to get a riggle on and finish mine then :D ;)

Congrats once again!

Guest Deviousdavey

Well done fella.... ;)

Fantastic news, another specca on the road, and great news that you did it first time, lets see some piccies of the finished article.

Dave B)

Guest Friar Tuck

Well done John !!!

Drinks are on you next time we meet (ha ha)

Will we see you at Stoneleigh?, we haven't decided which day we are going, but it will probably be the Saturday.

It seems that the roads will be congested with Super Specs very soon !!!

All the best

Neal and Lesley

Well done John. :lol: :lol:

I put the relays in as well, RH have a pack available to do the job.

I am pleased watching my car go through was such a help, perhaps others could benifit from this. ;) Seems a good idea.

If anyone else wants to borrow the Mountney steering wheel cover send me a PM.

Look forward to seeing the car perhaps at the Notts meet sometime.