Ideal Donor

Guest Dredd

Guest Dredd

My brother in law is about to order a 2b kit. What donor is the idela car to get if we accept that he is going for Ford power initially?

Guest Gpayne

most people go for a 2.0 or 1.6 single overhead cam engined car as this is what it was designed for these were pre 1989 a to f reg cars as most g reg cars went either cvh or double overhead cam engines

2.0 sohc are very rare now so if you find one be prepared for an engine re build

most will be over the 100000 k mark

Guest chris brown

I agree with Graham go for a pinto powered Sierra and remember the injected ones have hardened valve seats so are the best engines to go for but they are getting harder to find so be willing to travel to get one. But check local free adds and if you have a friendly scrap yard they may sell you one providing you know them and they can be convinced you are going to strip it as they will not let a car back on to the road.

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I have a 2 litre sohc - done app 90k - had a new webber carb app 18 months ago, its an auto and an estate but the engine is really good.

Its still running but has no tax or mot and I am in Cornwall, must be worth £100.

Guest salty_monk

You also get the 3.92 diff with the 2.0i. The unleaded head also flows better & I think the standard Cam is slightly better too..

Dan :)

My pinto is on 130,000 miles and is a bit tuned but still runs the original bottom end with no problems so don't be too pessimistic about engine rebuild costs. If it runs OK in the donor, fit it as is.

You do need a whole Ford Sierra, for all the steering/suspension/rear axle and gearbox and pre 89 pinto engined carburetted cars are easiest.

Nigel

Guest chris brown
carburetted cars are easiest.
I’m not so sure about that Nigel the injection loom only has 3 or 4 connections to the main loom, and young Joey managed to fit his (with a little help from Bill). I don’t see why people are concerned about it as you get a little more power as standard along with better economy

I have always been a fan of simplest is easiest. With the carb route there is nothing to change on the fueling and sparks side. With injection there are more bits to go wrong and it doesn't quite fit without modding the plenum or bonnet and you have to faff with a high pressure fuel pump and perhaps a swirl pot. Not much in it perhaps but the carb car is also far easier to tune.

Nigel