What About The 1.8 Carb Engine

Guest Paul TVR one

Guest Paul TVR one

Hi there seems to be more sierra 1.8 engines with carbs, than the 2.0 litre models. is there much difference in performance compaired with the 2.0 litre carb model, dose the 1.8 fit in the 2B thank you Paul :huh:

Guest allbejay

i always found that there were less 1.8, well pinto engines as they were more commen as a 1.6 or, 2.0. More to the point there is no difference in 1.6, 1.8, or 2.0 as the blocks are technically the same (correct me if i'm wrong) the difference was in the size of the bore. And if the 1.8 carb u were refering to was a cvh engine then fitment i have heard it's not so easy.. Wouldn't you consider a later type engine, ie vauxhall 16v or ford zetec, i know these aren't easier to fit than the pinto but better in the long run if ur considering big power or just more up to date technology :blink:

Guest Russler

it depends whether it is a pinto or CVH they both came in 1.8 variants, the later ones will be CVH which the 2b wasn't designed around but as far as I know its a fairly simple exchange (exhaust is on other side though), as far as I remember they are both about 85 - 90hp. Never been in a car fitted with one though, only thing is most tuning parts are aimed at the 1.6 and 2.0lt versions. but they are some around :)

Guest Paul TVR one

Yes the car i was looking at had the exhaust on the other side, I Would consider a later type engine, ie vauxhall 16v or ford zetec, but at the moment cost is a factor with 3 kids and one starting university this year, :( that is why i was looking at a single doner

Guest chris brown

The problem with the 1800 CVH is that it was an economy engine and as such there was very little which can be done to it (it was also a b awful lump)a better bet if you want CVH would be to go for the 1600 which has about the same power as standard but there are lots of tuning bits that can be got for it and there are also turbo versions.

Guest salty_monk

Think the CVH engine is taller than the Pinto too... you may have clearance problems.

Think both the Pinto & CVH 1.8 are 90BHP as compare to the 2ltr carb which is 105 I think...

Dan :)

i think there are more pintos out of sierras etc than in now. so the way to go is buy

a cvh car and then pick up a pinto engine. everything on the car is the same

except the engine . thats the way i went and 2 years on i still have not

found a pinto sierra car and i get out and about

Dave