Computer Advice

Longboarder

I 'need' to change the mobo in my computer so I can fit a sempron 2.8 in place of the current athlon 1.9. The current mobo will not support this. I don't want to change any other bits especialy the hard discs and their contents. Can this be done without a format and complete reload of all my software. Just fitting the new bits leaves my computer unable to find enough drivers to get to windows. It boots and tries to load windows then hangs.

Help please.

Nigel

90% of the time new MB means new install I'm afraid. Also depending on what you want to do, but I can't believe the Sempron will be much faster than the athlon anyway. Better off getting a new HD (cheap as chips), and starting again, it's what I would do - sorry :(

Does a new install mean XP will have to be reregistered with Microsoft to activate and does that cause any problems as an already registered copy will appear to be on two computers. How do you get round this? If I do change boards and cpu's, apart from My Documents what else would I need to save from the hard disc?

Nigel

Guest Charles B

I've re-registered Xp onto a new motherboard and hard disc, but you can't do it through the web site, you have to ring them up to do it.

Hi, It may be possible to set up witha new HD, then ensuring that your PC sees this as a master drive, then fit your old HD as a slave, then copy any files needed.

I did this a number of years ago with a PC running windows 95, and all worked ok. Mind you, I used to play with PC's, now it's just mainly my Hood. :D

Guest salty_monk

Have you tried booting it up in safe mode or diagnostic mode?? This is a simple mode where most of the drivers are taken out so you can actually see windows & try to sort things out....