Stereo

Guest paul mercer

Guest paul mercer

i know most people don't fit stereos in their kits. i'm sure a few have though, and as i'm one thats going to wondered where people have fitted their speakers. i've got a few ideas, but am interested in input.

paul

I had 4 speakers and a 200watt amplifier in my boot area (I didn't cover the whole back section though), but I'm unable to find any pics at the moment - this was in a eXmo. For my next project I'm going to try and put 2 under dash and 2 in the boot instead. My original plan was to have them in an area to the right of the scuttle (side of the can under scuttle) but there just wasn't enough room :(

Guest Angel Boy

Paul,

I have fitted some 6x9's in the seat back panel (one behind each seat) and some round 100mm ones in an additional panel I fitted in the footwell on both sides.

Sounds fantastic!

HTH

Andy

Paul,

I have just 2 speakers in my 2B, one behind each headrest in the seat back panel. If I turn the stereo up a wee bit I can still make out the lyrics at 50 mph, but anything over that and its all wind.

Richard

Whilst you're wondering where to put the speakers, what about the actual radio itself? Tony Hurst, has remade his dashboard with the radio squarely in the middle of the passenger side, bit under a Dummy glove box lid, that is covered in the same as the dash and looks great. (I just can't find the piccy's of it!) :(

Guest piddy

:D I cut two holes in my seat back panel to fit speakers and one in my dash behind the foam and leather but have never got round to fitting a radio.

Piddy.

I put the stereo itself bang in the middle of the dash under the speedo etc. (original Sierra unit) so that I could reach the controls with 4 point harness on.

I took the stereo out for the SVA as I think it would have failed sharp edges/projection test and made up a soft pad to cover the hole.

Richard

Guest Paul S Usowicz

I have kept back the stereos from both my donors but as I don't intend to have a windscreen or roof I was wondering if anyone had come across any weather-proof speakers? I seem to remember Tandy used to do some when they were still in business.

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

Guest SteveL

My plan:

- A pair of 4" comps in the front (tweeters in the dash, and mid-range in the interior side panels. The crossovers are small enough to hide behind the dash). The mid-range drivers are quite shallow, but I think I'll still need some MDF spacers to stop the back hitting the side panel

- A pair of 8" mid-bass drivers on the seat back panel. These will be partially boxed to stop road debris from getting to them.

- Head unit where-ever it'll fit in the dash.

- Amps in the boot on the wall facing you when you open the boot.

- Small EQ will probably go by the amps, as I'll set it once, and then not touch it.

I picked up the lot second hand from the classified forum at http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk for about £400.

Steve

Guest SteveL
£400 worth of stero equipment in an open top car, your brave! I got mime from a local market (including a detachable stero face) for about £100 all in!

Most of it will be well hidden from prying eyes, and it's not the sort of car I'd leave just anywhere (when it's finished!) so I think it'll be safe enough.

Steve

Guest morty

:angry: Steve

i had about 450 quids worth of kit, supposedly hidden, most of it in the chained up boot of a saloon cavalier. It wasn't obvious any of it was there, but if you live near the sort of people we do, if they hear it playing, come hell or high water it won't last long. In one night, off went a mini disc head unit, a pair of 3 way 6x9s, a 760W amp and 2 10" subs in a double box, a hell of a lot for one person to carry: THEY DON'T NECCESSARILY WORK ON THEIR OWN :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: - m****r f*****g c**ts. (they did leave a big blob of blood, which brought up a name, but we've heard nothing for about 10 months since. So don't rely on the police to sort anything, my appologies to useful members of the force)

Your situation might'nt be the same, but I'd be cautious putting that sort of money into a hood.

Still, good luck with it. sounds like you've got some good kit at a bargain price.

Morty

P.S Paul should you be interested in weatherproof speakers, sony do a line of marine speakers, with some sort of plasticy type cones and such like. Might be worth pursuing.

Guest paul mercer

thanks everyone. i've made a custom dash mould (left a large enough area for stereo) which i intend to use to make a carbon fibre dash with. i had though of putting speakers behind seat, but wasn't sure if i'd actually hear anything. thanks for confirming. i will( all be it under 50mph).as for the fronts, i think i'll make some pods that go between my legs (ooooer) and point up wards with the tweeters in dash. very impressed with the dummy dash and will prob do same with my mold / dash.