A Strange Question.......and Exciting News.

Guest boggie

Guest boggie

Hi All,

Well in just under 11 days I am due to become a father for the first time. My wife, Stephanie is huge and her belly is tight like a drum. When lying down she bears a striking resemblance to a space hopper (without the orange skin condition and pointy ears) but I have refrained from grapping her by the ears for a quick bounce around the living room (If you know what I mean). She finished work on Tuesday so is now a womb of leisure tinkering around the house and sunning herself in the garden, taking in the country air.

Due to the fact that we are still in an undeliverable type of breech position we have been booked in for a caesarean section at 7:30am on June the 21st (bringing a whole new meaning to the longest day). I have started to lose that detached feeling about my upcoming father status and now reality is pouring in. 10 days, 22 hours from now I will be holding a new life in my arms - for the first time in months I am scared once again! Back to that heady mix of 'scared and excited' I got when the news first broke but I am very much looking forward to it.

I will give up work for three weeks starting a week today but as Steph will not be allowed to return home for 4-5 days it will give me some time at home to finish off the decorating etc. I might even get to complete the new engine for the Hood which will be back on the road with over 250 BHP/Tonne after about another 4 hours work. However as it is a pure 2 seater I can't see it getting much use for a while....

However I was wondering if you can get baby race bucket seats and harnesses for ages somewhere between 1 and 5? It might sound crazy but I was thinking I could bolt one in to the boot area just behind / between the seats to make it a 2+1. Back when I used to do a bit of Rallying I prepared the cars myself and the bucket seat / harness anchor points were simply bolted through the floor with large steel strengthening plates on the other side. Could I do this in the Hood? There is plenty of space in an Exmo boot and as it is a monocoque chassis the boot floor is a structural steel panel and therefore very strong, after all the top of the rear coil springs sit against it. The baby seat would also be directly under the roll-over bar so arguably it would be in the safest place and as long as it was properly and securely fitted. I would also need a 4 point harness which would be bolted to the rear roll-over bar mounts (where the other harnesses attach) and through the floor for the lap belts.

If anyone has advice, opinions (good or bad) or can even point me in the direction of a manufacturer I would be most grateful. I realise that it sounds totally mad that I am even considering this but it may be worth looking into at least, it would be a shame if we cant use the car together any more.

Cheers, Boggie

:lol: :p Hi Boggie

This was talked about a few years ago at Newark, when i was still building and my mate (Andy Windows) was thinking of buying a hood, infact it was a major inclusion in the selling pitch for his wife to allow the purchase.

We decided it could be done, but in the end it was never done, due to the fact his Daughter Emma was 6 (now nine and wouldnt now fit)at the time and new buisness and time to do it never surfaced.(and the fact it was now in the garage)

the only set back was the safety in a rear end shunt, i wouldnt put a child in that area, there wouldnt be much strenght in a monocoque chassi to stop the child seat being pushed up against the driver/passenger seats, with a chance causing serious injury.Also dont forget the wind buffeting in the rear would be really bad for a small child, and no screen to protect them from flying bits,

You could say the same about the sides of the car which would offer little support in a side impact, a 2b chassi may be different, but smaller boot area limits this then.

You can buy mini race/bucket seats, but a newborn will need a diferent seat altogether.

Halfords do/did little recaros but they are meant to sit in a fullsize seat rather than stand alone.

sorry, but if you want a car for small children to join in too, how about a Quantem

like Jims Son has, little bench seat in back ideal, and hugh boot capacity for the pram, napppies, changing mat/bag,bottles.................... too, much more practicle than that TT you,ve got :lol: :D

HTH

Mitch

Im with Will, i wouldnt put a child in there, i would be to concerned on what the trafic behind were doing.( no Jim i only do that now when Gregs about :blink: )

pps

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/ca...P020&tlgrp=R002

Edited by Mitch

I bought the hood so that me and the wife could escape the child for a couple of hours. :D

Once your bundle of joy comes along your parental instincts will stop you from even thinking about putting your baby in the hood. Mines 3 and she still goes out in bubble wrap.

All the best

Will

Guest Andy Rathbone

not being a dad myself, yet,(my girl friend probably has plans, 5 years plus hopefully). i feel i can take just an objective look at the logistics. what about a black bin bag/somthing similar and a large can of expanding foam, and basically make foam mould round afore mentioned bundle of joy, like you would make a race seat. put the bag on the seat and the baby ON the bag and fill the bag with the foam. then as the baby grows you can trim more and more off the foam so he/she will still fit snugly/safely in the proper place in the car, not above the screen in the rear crumple zone. just an idea. good luck with parent hood in the hood

Well I don't thing that putting you child in the rear crumple zone is a good idea, but I do like the expanding foam idea :lol: Both my kids (5 and 8) like riding in the RH with a booster seat :D

I think Will is right, when that parental instinct kicks in you become very protective.

Guest Andy Rathbone
"Thank the Lord for That"

funny, your not the first person to say that to me. i am a scout leader though. :ph34r: i guess i just never realy grew up :D

Guest Andy Rathbone

tsk tsk tsk, its spelt Akela and some you wish they had and some wish they hadnt depending on your persuasion, as some Akela's are men if you catch my meaning.

scouts, make friends burn things

scouts, make friends burn things

camp, canoe, fall out of trees, find a number of different ways to burn food on an open fire.

Then when you get a bit older, you find out what Guides are for....... ;) :wub: :wub: :wub:

We've been here before, some of the best years of my life, still remember many things that I learnt in Scouts.

:) :) :) :)

Guest Andy Rathbone
find out what Guides are for.......   

still remember many things that I learnt in Scouts

any link ???? :lol:

yes i enjoyed years as a cub and scout, and just carried on, its still just as fun, we have a waiting list to join, so i guess they enjoy it almost as much as me, we do struggle to compitant leaders but they let me in because they were desperate :D

like starting fires with sticks,(or flint depending on era), :p ;)

always carring a pen knife and a whistle, and helping old ladys across the road, except now they think you're trying to pull Jim.

:lol: ;) :lol:

I will wear padded shorts tommorow Jim, i think i may get my arse kicked :boohoo:

Guest Andy Rathbone

not by me you wont i'm on camp with a dozen of the little people. they are like munchkins small and wear green. should be fun. i will let you know if i survive

Guest TerryBarry

Good Luck,

Many years ago I went on a Father & Son scout camp with two of my sons.

They survived the experience, however I ended up in Wexham Park Hospital (Slough) with a spiral fracture in my left leg - and a good few weeks off work :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boggie

OK, well I guess the general feeling is the idea is a stupid one. Maybe after tomorrow my feelings of child protection will kick in as due to continued breech position we have our planned caesarean section taking place at around 9:30.

Wish us luck!

Boggie